Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bob Daun Bob Daun is offline

Default buffing

I have had very little experience with pure tung oil but I routinely use
Homer Formby's tung oil finish (which is a mixture of tung oil with some
type of varnish and probably some drying agents. It normally dries hard
in 24 hours or less at normal room temp.

Bob
"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 15:03:35 -0800 (PST), TWW wrote:

I found a video on YouTube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oulH...eature=related
The video was on buffing. I found the buffing process interesting
enough to fork over some money and buy some buffs. Then the recent
winter storm hit and the weather turned cold before they arrived.
What I am wondering about is how to buff in cold weather (northern
Wisconsin in the US). From searching a little in this blog I find
posts saying tung oil needs to be about 70 degrees F to dry out. I
have an insulated but unheated garage to work in. Do many people just
skip the oil and buff the wood alone or is some sort of oil a
necessity? Thanks.

I use the Beall wheels and buffs on all of my work, pens to large vases..

On softer woods, I find that a coat or 2 of Danish oil makes a very nice
buffing
surface, but for hard or oily woods, no finish is needed... Sand and
buff..

Tung oil takes forever to dry.. Danish oil has driers in it and when
applied on
the lathe and rubbed in well, it should dry in a day or so in moderate
temperatures.. I have the most problems with it drying in the hot humid
summer
here. in MX..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing