Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Jet 1442 belt

I know that there are several 1442 users here and I am looking for some
advice. Mine seems to be slipping quite a bit even at low speed. I think
the belt may be worn/stretched. I have a new belt but I also know that it
is not the easiest job to change belts so I am looking for advice on using a
link belt instead of the v-belt. It appears that the v-belt is actually
about 3/8 inch in width and I know that it is possible to get 3/8" link belt
material. Could anyone advise me of a good supplier for the link belt and
any tips about mounting it. In other words where should the speed setting
be set when the new belt is installed? Any other information will be
helpful.

Bob Daun

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4474 (20091001) __________

http://www.eset.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bob Daun" wrote: clip) In other words where should the speed setting
be set when the new belt is installed? Any other information will be
helpful.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this a Reeves variable speed drive. I have had considerable experience
with such a set-up on the Jet 1236. Ideally, the belt length should be such
that when you pull the maximum belt tension (for minimum speed) the motor
pulley just bottoms out. If the belt is any longer than this, you will
reach a maximum setting, but the motor pulley will be wider than you want.
Similarly, if the belt is too short, you will not be able to reach the
maximum speed setting. Link belting can be adjusted in 1/2" increments, so
you can get a very good setting by trial and error, adding or removing one
link at a time.

When you buy your belting material, I suggest you buy about 6" more than you
are going to need for your setup. If you ever stall the lathe, the motor
tends to spin on one par of the belting, causing it to burn. About a month
later it is likely to fail. When this happens, there is no need to replace
the entire belt. Just put in two or three new links and you're good to go.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob Daun wrote:

I know that there are several 1442 users here and I am looking for some
advice. Mine seems to be slipping quite a bit even at low speed. I think
the belt may be worn/stretched. I have a new belt but I also know that it
is not the easiest job to change belts so I am looking for advice on using
link belt instead of the v-belt. It appears that the v-belt is actually
about 3/8 inch in width and I know that it is possible to get 3/8" link
belt
material. Could anyone advise me of a good supplier for the link belt and
any tips about mounting it. In other words where should the speed setting
be set when the new belt is installed? Any other information will be
helpful.

Bob Daun

signature database 4474 (20091001) __________

http://www.eset.com

Actually, it may well be the set screws on the Reeves Drive pulley on the
shaft in the head stock. Mine just started slipping a couple of days ago,
since this had happened before, I pulled the cover, tightened the screws
and was off and running at full speed again.

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I get my link belt at Harbor Freight.. Works fine, despite some of the other
"less than quality" stuff they sell..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Before you replace your belt, you should check that the variable
pulleys on the Reeves drive are sliding properly on the shafts,
through the full range of speeds.. If they don't adjust themselves to
tightly grip the belt, you will get slip when you put the chisel on
your wood.

Just take off the cover, and run the lathe through its speed range.
If the belt is not stretched tight, it's the pulleys' fault.

Jet dustomer service told me to use WD40, sprayed onto both shafts
through the slots in the pulleys. Be sure to put the cover back on
before you run the motor again (DAMHIKT).

Old Guy

On Oct 1, 3:44*pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Old Guy" wrote: in message
Before you replace your belt, you should check that the variable
pulleys on the Reeves drive are sliding properly on the shafts,
through the full range of speeds.. If they don't adjust themselves to
tightly grip the belt, you will get slip when you put the chisel on
your wood. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Good point. Do this from time to time *BEFORE* you start to have problems.
If you wait 'till the sliding pulley is seized, you'll have a much harder
time. If you ever do have to disassemble the motor pulley, tie a string to
the spring BEFORE you take the clip off. It's really easy to recover the
spring from the pile of wood chips if all you have to do is follow a string.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:06:23 -0700 (PDT), Old Guy wrote:

Before you replace your belt, you should check that the variable
pulleys on the Reeves drive are sliding properly on the shafts,
through the full range of speeds.. If they don't adjust themselves to
tightly grip the belt, you will get slip when you put the chisel on
your wood.

Just take off the cover, and run the lathe through its speed range.
If the belt is not stretched tight, it's the pulleys' fault.

Jet dustomer service told me to use WD40, sprayed onto both shafts
through the slots in the pulleys. Be sure to put the cover back on
before you run the motor again (DAMHIKT).

Old Guy

I did that with "dry" lubricant"... Ever try to clean lines of that stuff off of
a ceramic tile floor?

On Oct 1, 3:44*pm, "Bob Daun" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"mac davis" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 15:06:23 -0700 (PDT), Old Guy wrote:

Before you replace your belt, you should check that the variable
pulleys on the Reeves drive are sliding properly on the shafts,
through the full range of speeds.. If they don't adjust themselves to
tightly grip the belt, you will get slip when you put the chisel on
your wood.

Just take off the cover, and run the lathe through its speed range.
If the belt is not stretched tight, it's the pulleys' fault.

Jet dustomer service told me to use WD40, sprayed onto both shafts
through the slots in the pulleys. Be sure to put the cover back on
before you run the motor again (DAMHIKT).

Old Guy

I did that with "dry" lubricant"... Ever try to clean lines of that stuff
off of
a ceramic tile floor?

Had a boss try to fix a squeaky hard drive with WD40. While it was running
and while he was wearing a white shirt. Was kind of hard to tell him what he
didn't want to hear, so everybody just backed off while he pulled the cover.
Way off. The results were as expected and the sound of the heads gouging the
platters was something I don't want to hear again.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bob Daun wrote:
I know that there are several 1442 users here and I am looking for some
advice. Mine seems to be slipping quite a bit even at low speed. I
think the belt may be worn/stretched. I have a new belt but I also know
that it is not the easiest job to change belts so I am looking for
advice on using a link belt instead of the v-belt. It appears that the
v-belt is actually about 3/8 inch in width and I know that it is
possible to get 3/8" link belt material. Could anyone advise me of a
good supplier for the link belt and any tips about mounting it. In
other words where should the speed setting be set when the new belt is
installed? Any other information will be helpful.

Bob Daun

signature database 4474 (20091001) __________

http://www.eset.com

I have owned a Jet 1442 and a 1642. The belts are not hard to change,
just follow the instructions in the manual. Both units required belt
changes. I never had a slippage problem but flat spots on the belts
caused excessive vibration. I didn't realize how much vibration those
lathes had until I got a belt less unit. The Nova DVR XP...BIG DIFFERENCE

LB
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Do you use the Nova for Bowl turning and/or pen turning? If so how do you
like it for those tasks? Especially bowl turning?
If you pivot the head for outboard turning and then retrun to the normal
position does it come back exactly in line?
Russ
"LBledsoe" wrote in message
Bob Daun wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 17:46:42 -0400, "Russ Stanton"
wrote:

Do you use the Nova for Bowl turning and/or pen turning? If so how do you
like it for those tasks? Especially bowl turning?
If you pivot the head for outboard turning and then retrun to the normal
position does it come back exactly in line?
Russ

I have an XP, along with a Jet mini and 1442 var..

The XP is quiet, uses less electricity and is a wonderful lathe.. The
"universal" stand sucks and I'd pay the extra $150 for the cast iron legs..

Once you get used to the speed adjustment and such, you don't want to stop
turning stuff... It makes it so much more enjoyable.. less vibration, less
noise, easy to find the best speed for out of balance pieces, etc..

I don't do much big stuff anymore, but use the XP for pens, vases, bowls..
anything I turn...
I thought that I'd use the other lathes along with the XP but no way....
The 1442 is a dedicated buffer and the mini is a loaned/teaching/demo tool..

I've turned the headstock 45 degrees to hollow a large vase and then brought it
back to normal and turned pens without checking the "point to point".. It seems
to run true and I don't get "oval" pens of abnormal vibration, so I guess it's
aligned..

Hope that helps...

"LBledsoe" wrote in message
Bob Daun wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Russ,

The head stock locking system used on the Nova pretty much assures that
the head/tail stocks will come back to perfect alinement. The tail stock
is adjustable if you should ever have a mis-alinement problem.
When set at the 45 degree angle, hollowing bowels and vessels is at a
very comfortable position and the tool rest stability is very
impressive. The infinite speed range makes turning large out of balance
pieces very do-able. High speed and the lack of vibration make the Nova
an excellent lathe for pens and other small projects. I would suggest a
6 inch tool rest for the smaller work. All in all I am very pleased with
the Nova and would highly recommend it.

LB

"LBledsoe" wrote in message
Bob Daun wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I never seen a Nova in use, I assume you turn it 45 degrees so the turned
object would be to the rear and then you slide the tool rest over to the
rear. If this is an incorrect assumption how do you orient the tool rest so
you are still cutting with the bowl going downward?

Can you turn a larger bowl at the 45 degree position?
If so what is the limit?

Russ

"LBledsoe" wrote in message
Bob Daun wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 10:07:36 -0400, LBledsoe wrote:

Russ,

The head stock locking system used on the Nova pretty much assures that
the head/tail stocks will come back to perfect alinement. The tail stock
is adjustable if you should ever have a mis-alinement problem.
When set at the 45 degree angle, hollowing bowels and vessels is at a
very comfortable position and the tool rest stability is very
impressive. The infinite speed range makes turning large out of balance
pieces very do-able. High speed and the lack of vibration make the Nova
an excellent lathe for pens and other small projects. I would suggest a
6 inch tool rest for the smaller work. All in all I am very pleased with
the Nova and would highly recommend it.

LB

Good point.. I have a 4" and 6" rest, along with an assortment of curved ones..

My main regret of going from the Jet to the Nova is that I bought some really
nice tool rests used and had to cut an inch off of the posts to use them on the
1442, which makes them useless on the XP, of course..