Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Leo Lichtman[_2_] Leo Lichtman[_2_] is offline

Default Jet 1442 belt

"Bob Daun" wrote: clip) In other words where should the speed setting
be set when the new belt is installed? Any other information will be
helpful.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Is this a Reeves variable speed drive. I have had considerable experience
with such a set-up on the Jet 1236. Ideally, the belt length should be such
that when you pull the maximum belt tension (for minimum speed) the motor
pulley just bottoms out. If the belt is any longer than this, you will
reach a maximum setting, but the motor pulley will be wider than you want.
Similarly, if the belt is too short, you will not be able to reach the
maximum speed setting. Link belting can be adjusted in 1/2" increments, so
you can get a very good setting by trial and error, adding or removing one
link at a time.

When you buy your belting material, I suggest you buy about 6" more than you
are going to need for your setup. If you ever stall the lathe, the motor
tends to spin on one par of the belting, causing it to burn. About a month
later it is likely to fail. When this happens, there is no need to replace
the entire belt. Just put in two or three new links and you're good to go.