Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default hrbor Freight vacum pump

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bruce Ferguson wrote:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Sounds a little weak to me, but I am no physicist. It states it has a
10 Pascal maximum vacuum. Wikipedia says 1 psi = 6894 Pascal and my
vacuum pulls about 10 psi. Must be a misprint somewhere or my
oldtimers is kicking in.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A liberal is a conservative who has
been arrested.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Bruce Ferguson wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Bruce, I agree with Gerald that this one looks a bit weak.

Usually, vacuum kits come with Gast pumps and Surplus Center has one for
$30.00 less than the HF model you are looking at. The down side is it is
230volt.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1669&catname=

I have one of these, hooked to a home built vacuum chuck (maybe $20.00 in
the chuck) and it works like a champ.

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:09:44 -0700, Bruce Ferguson
wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Bruce,
The guys are right, this doesn't suck enough.. lol

Also, since it's for evacuating auto AC systems, I doubt that it's designed to
run for extended periods, as you may need a vacuum chuck to do..

I'd really recommend talking to Bill Noble on these things, he's the expert..
http://www.wbnoble.com/
Bill got me started with a used pump and a few accessories, and for a very
reasonable price..
He's also "been there, done that", so he's very knowledgeable and helpful in
this area.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Thanks for the reply s. I saw the 120v and hoped. I don't have 220v in
the garage, I mean workshop. I will take a look at Bills site, it was
just wishful thinking.

Thanks again, Bruce

wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Bruce,
The guys are right, this doesn't suck enough.. lol

Also, since it's for evacuating auto AC systems, I doubt that it's designed to
run for extended periods, as you may need a vacuum chuck to do..

I'd really recommend talking to Bill Noble on these things, he's the expert..
http://www.wbnoble.com/
Bill got me started with a used pump and a few accessories, and for a very
reasonable price..
He's also "been there, done that", so he's very knowledgeable and helpful in
this area.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:24:25 -0700, Bruce Ferguson
wrote:

The pump I bought from Bill (a few years ago) is a 120v Gast that is fairly
quiet and works really well..
I think at the time, he set me up with the pump, filter, vacuum gauge and a few
other parts for about $200..

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

if it really moves 2.5 CFM it should be OK, though at the low end of what I
would recommend - but this is a "real" vacuum pump and you do not need the
high vacuum - I think you'd be better off with a thomas or gast wobble
piston pump - 1/3 hp or larger should be fine - I have some on my web site
(wbnoble.com) but I've heard that others are finding them locally - and that
may well be cheaper. There is no price with the harbor fright ad that I
saw - if it's over $100, then look elsewhere.

"Bruce Ferguson" wrote in message

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Harbor Freight Pump?? Rob Mills Home Repair 16 August 27th 13 06:11 PM
Harbor freight vacum pump Bruce Ferguson Woodturning 8 May 18th 06 03:48 PM
vacum bags SeaKan Home Repair 2 December 6th 05 09:42 PM
Harbor freight compressor pump opinions? Scott Metalworking 6 October 10th 05 04:03 AM
Restored vacum pump Christopher Tidy Metalworking 5 September 18th 05 04:35 PM