DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   hrbor Freight vacum pump (https://www.diybanter.com/woodturning/262817-hrbor-freight-vacum-pump.html)

Bruce Ferguson October 16th 08 11:09 PM

hrbor Freight vacum pump

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Gerald Ross[_2_] October 17th 08 11:17 AM

hrbor Freight vacum pump

Bruce Ferguson wrote:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Sounds a little weak to me, but I am no physicist. It states it has a
10 Pascal maximum vacuum. Wikipedia says 1 psi = 6894 Pascal and my
vacuum pulls about 10 psi. Must be a misprint somewhere or my
oldtimers is kicking in.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

A liberal is a conservative who has
been arrested.

Dr. Deb October 17th 08 02:44 PM

hrbor Freight vacum pump

Bruce Ferguson wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Bruce, I agree with Gerald that this one looks a bit weak.

Usually, vacuum kits come with Gast pumps and Surplus Center has one for
$30.00 less than the HF model you are looking at. The down side is it is
230volt.

http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1669&catname=

I have one of these, hooked to a home built vacuum chuck (maybe $20.00 in
the chuck) and it works like a champ.

Deb

mac davis[_5_] October 17th 08 03:53 PM

hrbor Freight vacum pump

On Thu, 16 Oct 2008 15:09:44 -0700, Bruce Ferguson
wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...ateg oryName=

I saw this vacuum pump in an advertisement from Harbor Freight. Would
this work for vacuum chucking or is it too small.

Bruce

Bruce,
The guys are right, this doesn't suck enough.. lol

Also, since it's for evacuating auto AC systems, I doubt that it's designed to
run for extended periods, as you may need a vacuum chuck to do..

I'd really recommend talking to Bill Noble on these things, he's the expert..
http://www.wbnoble.com/
Bill got me started with a used pump and a few accessories, and for a very
reasonable price..
He's also "been there, done that", so he's very knowledgeable and helpful in
this area.. YMWV

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Bruce Ferguson October 17th 08 06:24 PM

hrbor Freight vacum pump

Thanks for the reply s. I saw the 120v and hoped. I don't have 220v in
the garage, I mean workshop. I will take a look at Bills site, it was
just wishful thinking.

Thanks again, Bruce

mac davis[_5_] October 18th 08 04:43 PM

hrbor Freight vacum pump

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 10:24:25 -0700, Bruce Ferguson
wrote:

The pump I bought from Bill (a few years ago) is a 120v Gast that is fairly
quiet and works really well..
I think at the time, he set me up with the pump, filter, vacuum gauge and a few
other parts for about $200..

Bill Noble[_2_] October 29th 08 04:24 AM

hrbor Freight vacum pump

if it really moves 2.5 CFM it should be OK, though at the low end of what I
would recommend - but this is a "real" vacuum pump and you do not need the
high vacuum - I think you'd be better off with a thomas or gast wobble
piston pump - 1/3 hp or larger should be fine - I have some on my web site
(wbnoble.com) but I've heard that others are finding them locally - and that
may well be cheaper. There is no price with the harbor fright ad that I
saw - if it's over $100, then look elsewhere.