Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Ferguson

Default Harbor freight vacum pump

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=3952

Saw a vacuum pump from harbor freight on a coupon ad for $10.00. Would
this work for a lathe vacuum or is it to small.

Bruce
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
David Wade

Bruce,
It really isn't a pump. It's a venturi you blow compressed air through
and it creates a siphon. It may pull a decent vacuum in a closed
container but I doubt it would do well with the porosity issues of wood.
On the other hand, if you have a compressor big enough to handle it,
it's only $10 and Horror Fright is not that far away. It may come in
handy for something else some day....
David

Bruce Ferguson wrote:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=3952

Saw a vacuum pump from harbor freight on a coupon ad for $10.00. Would
this work for a lathe vacuum or is it to small.

Bruce

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

if you have a large compressor and are willing to waste 5 HP of air to
get 1/8 hp of vacuum (ok, I haven't done the calculations, but you get
the idea) - I have the equations for this kind of device in my article
on vacuum systems for wood turners - the article is in the tips
section of www.woodturners.org and on my web page www.wbnoble.com in
the vacuum pumps section

some harbor freight tools are good deals, but even they can't give you
a new $600 pump for $9.99, honest.

Bruce Ferguson wrote:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=3952

Saw a vacuum pump from harbor freight on a coupon ad for $10.00. Would
this work for a lathe vacuum or is it to small.

Bruce

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

It really isn't a pump.
Right. It is called an inductor because it induces a flow from another flow.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Mon, 15 May 2006 18:51:53 -0700, Bruce Ferguson
wrote:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=3952

Saw a vacuum pump from harbor freight on a coupon ad for $10.00. Would
this work for a lathe vacuum or is it to small.

Bruce

You'd be better off using your shop vac... and it would be quieter, if you have
the same HF compressor that I do.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bruce Ferguson

Thanks for the input. Sounded to good be true. I guess for this the
first thing would be to get a compressor and that will not happen soon.

Bruce

Bruce Ferguson wrote:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...do?itemid=3952

Saw a vacuum pump from harbor freight on a coupon ad for $10.00. Would
this work for a lathe vacuum or is it to small.

Bruce

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

I've never heard it called an "inductor", the term of art is
"venturi", named for an italian fellow who discovered and analyszed
the effect

On Tue, 16 May 2006 09:43:51 -0400, "Dan Bollinger"
wrote:

It really isn't a pump.

Right. It is called an inductor because it induces a flow from another flow.

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Dan Bollinger

I've never heard it called an "inductor", the term of art is
"venturi", named for an italian fellow who discovered and analyszed
the effect

At the heart of an inductor is a venturi. Just as at the heart of a spray gun
or carburetor is a venturi, too. Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

On Thu, 18 May 2006 09:45:46 -0400, "Dan Bollinger"
wrote:

I've never heard it called an "inductor", the term of art is
"venturi", named for an italian fellow who discovered and analyszed
the effect

At the heart of an inductor is a venturi. Just as at the heart of a spray gun
or carburetor is a venturi, too. Dan

Made famous by early Coke bottles...... *g*