John Orrett

Default Central heating pump help please

Hi all, just recently the central heating in our house stopped working.
It would appear that the pump is acting up, as the boiler (Glowworm
Ultimate 50BF) still heats the hot water, and the room temperature
thermostat still 'clicks' when it is turned. The pump, however was red
hot to the touch. One of my neighbours is a young chap who works for
British Gas, so he came in to have a look. By this time, I had turned
the boiler off and the thermostat down, and the pump had cooled down too.
When he came in, he gave the pump a clout with a rubber mallet, and
turned up the flow rate to max (I couldn't see this, as it was on the
reverse side of the pump). Lo and behold, the heating started working
again. However, the other night there was a horrible smell of burning
electrical components, so I turned everything off.
The pump is a Commander 'S' SMC, and the neighbour reckons it's about 25
years old. The problem is, apparently the size of the bore. He brought
around a new pump to replace the old one, but the bore on the old one is
about 1", whereas the new one is probably metric 12mm or similar.
Question is - is it possible to get either a new pump with the old size
bore, or could I get reducers to change to the new pump's bore? Needless
to say, the pump is in an awkward position, and would mean the removal
of kitchen cupboards to replace it.The old pump has a valve on either
side, by the way.
Any help, thoughts etc. greatly appreciated!
Regards
John
Ed Sirett

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 12:23:12 +0000, John Orrett wrote:

[...]

Based on the boiler model, you would have a typical sized house.
So you need a 'normal' pump so a '5metre' unit will do but '6m' won't be
wrong. Usually pumps are 130mm between flanges on the couplings, some
larger and/or older pumps may not conform to that.
Forget all about the 'bore' the pump has to join to 22mm pipe work (very
likely assumption). If the existing couplings won't hack it then the
system will have to be drained and new couplings used.

John Orrett

Ed Sirett wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the reply Ed; yes, we are in a 3 bed semi! So it theoreticaly
should be a case of drain the system, take old pump out, fit reducers at
either end, and then install new pump (presumably having to cut off a
bit of pipe either side to allow the reducers?). I assume that reducers
from 22mm to 12 mm (ish) are available?
Regards
John
Set Square

John Orrett wrote:

Thanks for the reply Ed; yes, we are in a 3 bed semi! So it
theoreticaly should be a case of drain the system, take old pump out,
fit reducers at either end, and then install new pump (presumably
having to cut off a bit of pipe either side to allow the reducers?).
I assume that reducers from 22mm to 12 mm (ish) are available?
Regards
John

I don't understand your problem! I don't know what sort of pump you saw with
12mm connections - but it was unlikely to be a central heating pump!

AFAIK, virtually all CH pumps have flange connections with a 1.5" BSP
thread. [See
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...&cd=1&x=8&y=13
as an example].

You then have a valve similar to
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/...cd=1&x=10&y=10
on either side of the pump - which screws onto the threaded flange and
connects to the 22mm pipework.

You can normally close the valves to retain the water in the system, unscrew
the valves from the pump and insert a replacement pump - all without
draining down. The only provisos are (a) that the valves work and (b) that
the replacement pump is the same physical size in respect of distance
between flanges.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

John Orrett

Set Square wrote:
John Orrett wrote:

[...]

Hi Set Square - I see where you are coming from!Thanks for the links,
that made things much clearer. I didn't realise that the pump valve gate
was a separate unit. I thought it was an integral part of the pump. So
presumably it should just be a case of close both valves, turn off the
electrics ,unscrew the pump from the pump valve gates and remove the
wiring, and then reinstall? I'll put a bit of WD40 on the valves in the
meantime. I'll check the distance between flanges also!
Thanks again,
John

John Orrett wrote:
Set Square wrote:

Hi Set Square - I see where you are coming from!Thanks for the links,

that made things much clearer. I didn't realise that the pump valve

gate
was a separate unit. I thought it was an integral part of the pump.

So
presumably it should just be a case of close both valves, turn off

the
electrics ,unscrew the pump from the pump valve gates and remove the
wiring, and then reinstall? I'll put a bit of WD40 on the valves in

the
meantime. I'll check the distance between flanges also!
Thanks again,
John

Just in my experience those gate valves never fully close off the
supply so have lots of towels around and act quickly!

Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
Just in my experience those gate valves never fully close off the
supply so have lots of towels around and act quickly!

Yup. After about 20 years of never being used, mine barely made any
difference. And then discovered the brass to steel action between one of
them and the pump had seized the cap nut solid. So had to cut it off. The
new pump - although the same make, and nominally the same model, in
combination with the new valves, was somewhat sorter overall, meaning I
had to extend the pipework. So much for a ten minute job. :-)

--
*Gun Control: Use both hands.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
John Orrett wrote:
Just in my experience those gate valves never fully close off the
supply so have lots of towels around and act quickly!

Ta :-)

Anyway, unless you know it's been done recently, draining down and adding
fresh inhibitor does two jobs for the price of one.

--
*I got a sweater for Christmas. I really wanted a screamer or a moaner*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Ed Sirett

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:43:25 +0000, John Orrett wrote:

Set Square wrote:
John Orrett wrote:

[...]

That's the theory. I practice with kit that's been around for 25 years you
_will_ end up draining the system and fitting new couplings and pump.

The rubber washers between the pump and coupling flanges will have been
turned to charcoal over the time, but new ones come with the new pump.

HTH

John Orrett

Set Square wrote:

John Orrett wrote:

[...]

I thought it sounded too easy! Maybe I'll ask our local central heating
merchant to come around and do it! I'm sure it probably needs inhibitor
in it anyway, so maybe it wouldn't be a bad ideaa draining down and
starting again. Our local neighbour reckons British Gas are charging
£450 for a powerflush!
Thanks again for the advice,
John

Central Heating pump K. Sloan UK diy 3 December 22nd 04 11:37 PM
More central heating advice sought Martin Westerman UK diy 4 December 1st 04 08:51 PM
Anyone looking for a good central heating company in N Liverpool or Wirral? Hugo Nebula UK diy 7 November 26th 04 10:05 PM
Upgrading the Central Heating System- BOOM! Alan Dempster UK diy 3 July 21st 04 05:55 PM
No central heating - HW only threewayvalve and tank therm John UK diy 7 September 29th 03 10:18 AM