Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Banding on bowls

I would like to try making a bowl with a fancy band around the rim.
Since I have never done this before I was hoping to get a few pointers from
the group. Is the banding you can buy from craft supplies self adhesive?
Is it best to initially turn the rebate for the band slightly deep to start
with and then turn the outside of the bowl flush to the band. Also any
tips about making sure the cut ends of the band line up exactly. Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom Dougall wrote:
I would like to try making a bowl with a fancy band around the rim.
Since I have never done this before I was hoping to get a few pointers from
the group. Is the banding you can buy from craft supplies self adhesive?
Is it best to initially turn the rebate for the band slightly deep to start
with and then turn the outside of the bowl flush to the band. Also any
tips about making sure the cut ends of the band line up exactly. Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Have not done that, but have made inlay banding with Inlace and with
black epoxy with crushed turquoise. Have had problems with Inlace
breaking up and popping out after a few months.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

Now that my house / Has burned down, /
I have a much better view / Of the Moon.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Tom Dougall" wrote: (clip) Also any tips about making sure the cut ends
of the band line up exactly. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I;ve never done it, but I think this would work: Cut the band so it is
slightly short, i.e., there is a gap when you put it in place. Then turn or
sand the bottom of the recess very slightly, until the band makes a good
butt joint where it closes. You also need to consider how the pattern of
the band will match up at the joint. This means that there are only certain
lengths of the band that will make a good pattern match. You need to
consider this in advance, so you can make the bowl diameter compatible with
one of these lengths.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tom
I have not done it on a bowl but I have added banding to a guitar body (no
need to ask how many years ago). Just a few thoughts. While the width and
thickness of the banding allows for a bit of play, it is only a bit. If the
side of the bowl is curved as usual the band will try to have its ends
elevated over one another, sort of like trying to fit tape that does not
stretch around a conical section. So
1) the banding needs to go into a straight section of bowl wall
2) most glues use water as a solvent so cut the recess for the banding a
little larger to allow for swelling due to moisture
3) overlap the edges slightly when laying the banding, then trim back to fit
with sand paper or raxor knife
4) allow the recess to be slightly slightly deeper than the banding to allow
for moisture expansion and then scrape to smooth it into the wall of the
bowl.
The banding is very thin so allow for gentle scraping.

Hope it helps. I would like to see a picture when done.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
I would like to try making a bowl with a fancy band around the rim. Since I
have never done this before I was hoping to get a few pointers from the
group. Is the banding you can buy from craft supplies self adhesive? Is
it best to initially turn the rebate for the band slightly deep to start
with and then turn the outside of the bowl flush to the band. Also any
tips about making sure the cut ends of the band line up exactly. Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
Gerald Ross wrote:

Tom Dougall wrote:
I would like to try making a bowl with a fancy band around the rim.
Since I have never done this before I was hoping to get a few pointers from
the group. Is the banding you can buy from craft supplies self adhesive?
Is it best to initially turn the rebate for the band slightly deep to start
with and then turn the outside of the bowl flush to the band. Also any
tips about making sure the cut ends of the band line up exactly. Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom

Have not done that, but have made inlay banding with Inlace and with
black epoxy with crushed turquoise. Have had problems with Inlace
breaking up and popping out after a few months.

My guess is the wood was not stable (either wet or dry). I have had no
similar problems, as long as the wood was stable

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm cm is offline

Tom,

I have done several bowl bands.

The banding I used was not self adhesive. I glued it with CA glue 1" at a
time.

I tried to turn the rebate close to the thickness of the band if not
slightly deeper and then sand to the banding.

Cutting to length is easy. As you are gluing 1" at a time. When you get to
the last 1" just line up a razorblade on the band in-line with the starting
end that is glued and carefully cut it. You may cut it a little long and
shave off bits with the razor blade until it fits.

I would love to see pictures of your completed project.

cm

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

Edge banding Dick Snyder Woodworking 2 November 2nd 07 03:01 PM
edge banding? Lee Woodworking 2 March 29th 07 07:01 AM
making decorative banding? Smaug Ichorfang Woodworking 0 June 22nd 06 08:29 PM
Source for edge banding todd Woodworking 5 June 6th 06 09:33 PM