Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Darrell Feltmate Darrell Feltmate is offline

Default Banding on bowls

Tom
I have not done it on a bowl but I have added banding to a guitar body (no
need to ask how many years ago). Just a few thoughts. While the width and
thickness of the banding allows for a bit of play, it is only a bit. If the
side of the bowl is curved as usual the band will try to have its ends
elevated over one another, sort of like trying to fit tape that does not
stretch around a conical section. So
1) the banding needs to go into a straight section of bowl wall
2) most glues use water as a solvent so cut the recess for the banding a
little larger to allow for swelling due to moisture
3) overlap the edges slightly when laying the banding, then trim back to fit
with sand paper or raxor knife
4) allow the recess to be slightly slightly deeper than the banding to allow
for moisture expansion and then scrape to smooth it into the wall of the
bowl.
The banding is very thin so allow for gentle scraping.

Hope it helps. I would like to see a picture when done.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
I would like to try making a bowl with a fancy band around the rim. Since I
have never done this before I was hoping to get a few pointers from the
group. Is the banding you can buy from craft supplies self adhesive? Is
it best to initially turn the rebate for the band slightly deep to start
with and then turn the outside of the bowl flush to the band. Also any
tips about making sure the cut ends of the band line up exactly. Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom