Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm cm is offline

Default Banding on bowls

Tom,

I have done several bowl bands.

The banding I used was not self adhesive. I glued it with CA glue 1" at a
time.

I tried to turn the rebate close to the thickness of the band if not
slightly deeper and then sand to the banding.

Cutting to length is easy. As you are gluing 1" at a time. When you get to
the last 1" just line up a razorblade on the band in-line with the starting
end that is glued and carefully cut it. You may cut it a little long and
shave off bits with the razor blade until it fits.

I would love to see pictures of your completed project.

cm

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"Tom Dougall" wrote in message
I would like to try making a bowl with a fancy band around the rim. Since I
have never done this before I was hoping to get a few pointers from the
group. Is the banding you can buy from craft supplies self adhesive? Is
it best to initially turn the rebate for the band slightly deep to start
with and then turn the outside of the bowl flush to the band. Also any
tips about making sure the cut ends of the band line up exactly. Any help
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tom