Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Cole Jaw Set CM021

Preparing to purchase a cole jaw set sold for
Super Nova chucks, maybe the Cole Jaw Set CM021.

Since the new lathe, Jet 1014 only swings 10",
is this jaw set too large in diameter?

I think there is also a smaller cole jaw set,
but can't seem to "Google" out the collapsed
(retracted) diameter of this set either.

If it is handy, could someone please give me
a measurement or two?

Thanks in advance,
Old Chief Lynn
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

This is the link to Teknatool's cole jaws page. It give all of the
dimensions for the sizes of wood they will hold for every one of their
chuck sizes in both standard and metric measurements.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...ories/Cole.htm

I have a set of the larger jaws on an original Super Nova chuck. The
actual jaw dimensions are 10 inches min and 11 inches max. I think
you will have problems using these jaws on a 10 inch lathe.

You will probably need to get their mini coles jaws.

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
,
Ted wrote:

This is the link to Teknatool's cole jaws page. It give all of the
dimensions for the sizes of wood they will hold for every one of their
chuck sizes in both standard and metric measurements.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...ories/Cole.htm

I have a set of the larger jaws on an original Super Nova chuck. The
actual jaw dimensions are 10 inches min and 11 inches max. I think
you will have problems using these jaws on a 10 inch lathe.

You will probably need to get their mini coles jaws.

Ted

Agreed, I'd get the mini's

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article
,
Ted wrote:

This is the link to Teknatool's cole jaws page. It give all of the
dimensions for the sizes of wood they will hold for every one of their
chuck sizes in both standard and metric measurements.

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...ories/Cole.htm

I have a set of the larger jaws on an original Super Nova chuck. The
actual jaw dimensions are 10 inches min and 11 inches max. I think
you will have problems using these jaws on a 10 inch lathe.

You will probably need to get their mini coles jaws.

Ted

Agreed, I'd get the mini's

Thanks for the quick response. Probably headed off a major
mistake!

Thanks again......... Great group!
Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Lynn" wrote in message
Preparing to purchase a cole jaw set sold for
Super Nova chucks, maybe the Cole Jaw Set CM021.

Since the new lathe, Jet 1014 only swings 10",
is this jaw set too large in diameter?

I think there is also a smaller cole jaw set,
but can't seem to "Google" out the collapsed
(retracted) diameter of this set either.

If it is handy, could someone please give me
a measurement or two?

Thanks in advance,
Old Chief Lynn

Why not consider alternatives such as the Longworth chuck which you can make
yourself for a few [pennies / cents]? Have a look at, for example,
http://www.morewoodturning.net/lwc-wtm.htm or Google for alternatives.

Ian

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 25, 2:08 pm, "Ian Malcolm" wrote:
"Lynn" wrote in message

... Preparing to purchase a cole jaw set sold for
Super Nova chucks, maybe the Cole Jaw Set CM021.

Since the new lathe, Jet 1014 only swings 10",
is this jaw set too large in diameter?

I think there is also a smaller cole jaw set,
but can't seem to "Google" out the collapsed
(retracted) diameter of this set either.

If it is handy, could someone please give me
a measurement or two?

Thanks in advance,
Old Chief Lynn

Why not consider alternatives such as the Longworth chuck which you can make
yourself for a few [pennies / cents]? Have a look at, for example,http://www.morewoodturning.net/lwc-wtm.htmor Google for alternatives.

Ian

Hello Chief Lynn,

As Ian says, the Longworth Chuck is an excellent alternative and you
don't have to change chuck jaws to use it. For the full list of
information on the Longworth chuck at my website to to http://
www.morewoodturning.net/chuck.htm. One advantage of using the
Longworth chuck is that you can make it to a size to fit your lathe.
However, I believe the Small Cole Jaws for the Nova Chuck will work on
your 10 inch swing lathe.

Fred Holder
http://www.morewoodturning.net
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Another possibility is that you use neither Cole jaws nor a Longworth chuck.

Since both drive the work from the rim, they are useful only for bowls.
Neither is of much help with hollow forms, natural edged bowls, and
bowls with semi-closed shapes.On the other hand, a home made jam chuck
works with all of the above. It does mean that you need to hold the
work with the tailstock so that there is a little hand finishing in the
middle of the bottom. Later on you can set up a vacuum system, use your
jam chuck as a vacuum chuck, and can finish pieces completely on the
machine. I have a couple of bucks in my jam/vacuum chuck.

Even then, you are sometimes going to have to hand finish -- I've
recently turned a hollow form but couldn't vacuum chuck it because of
bark inclusions.

Bill

"Lynn" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Ian Malcolm" wrote:
Why not consider alternatives such as the Longworth chuck which you can make
yourself for a few [pennies / cents]? Have a look at, for example,
http://www.morewoodturning.net/lwc-wtm.htm or Google for alternatives.

Ian

Ian suggestion is a good one, although I prefer the 6 pin design to the
4 pin shown in Fred's fine publication

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill Rubenstein" wrote in message
. ..
Another possibility is that you use neither Cole jaws nor a Longworth
chuck.

Since both drive the work from the rim, they are useful only for bowls.
Neither is of much help with hollow forms, natural edged bowls, and bowls
with semi-closed shapes.On the other hand, a home made jam chuck works
with all of the above. It does mean that you need to hold the work with
the tailstock so that there is a little hand finishing in the middle of
the bottom. Later on you can set up a vacuum system, use your jam chuck
as a vacuum chuck, and can finish pieces completely on the machine. I
have a couple of bucks in my jam/vacuum chuck.

Even then, you are sometimes going to have to hand finish -- I've recently
turned a hollow form but couldn't vacuum chuck it because of bark
inclusions.

when I have small inclusions that preculde using vacuum, I just fire up the
pump with the piece in place and put scraps of plastic bag over the holes -
the vac holds the pieces in place - this won't work with large holes, but up
to 1/4 inch or so it's not a problem - and it doesn't hurt hte finish, when
you are done, turn off the vac and the pieces fall away.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
"Ian Malcolm" wrote:
..
Why not consider alternatives such as the Longworth chuck which you can
make
yourself for a few [pennies / cents]? Have a look at, for example,
http://www.morewoodturning.net/lwc-wtm.htm or Google for alternatives.

Ian

Ian suggestion is a good one, although I prefer the 6 pin design to the
4 pin shown in Fred's fine publication

..
Gosh, there is certainly no shortage of good ideas in this group!
Fred's publication planted seeds of thought of a 6 or 8 pin Longworth
that might be a good alternative to the Cole chuck. I kind of like the
idea of not having to take the Cole chuck jaws on and off with related
hunt for fumbled screws in the chips. (I've got an old magnetron magnet
that has saved lots of time in the lost parts searches)

Old Chief Lynn

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:53:05 -0700, "Lynn" wrote:

Gosh, there is certainly no shortage of good ideas in this group!
Fred's publication planted seeds of thought of a 6 or 8 pin Longworth
that might be a good alternative to the Cole chuck. I kind of like the
idea of not having to take the Cole chuck jaws on and off with related
hunt for fumbled screws in the chips. (I've got an old magnetron magnet
that has saved lots of time in the lost parts searches)

Old Chief Lynn

Yep.. a lot of factors, including the hassle that you mention...

Also, there's the cost.. I have Oneway chucks, so I bought the "jumbo" jaws...
About $100 with shipping at the time... Probably more now..

They were really cool, at first, then I started finding excuses NOT to use them,
including having a stack of bowls waiting for a "jumbo jaw" day..

I haven't used them since I started vacuum chucking a couple of years ago, and
the cost of the jaws was 1/2 of what it cost me to set up the vacuum system..

Price of experience, I guess.. :-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:46:09 -0700, "William Noble" wrote:

snip
Even then, you are sometimes going to have to hand finish -- I've recently
turned a hollow form but couldn't vacuum chuck it because of bark
inclusions.

when I have small inclusions that preculde using vacuum, I just fire up the
pump with the piece in place and put scraps of plastic bag over the holes -
the vac holds the pieces in place - this won't work with large holes, but up
to 1/4 inch or so it's not a problem - and it doesn't hurt hte finish, when
you are done, turn off the vac and the pieces fall away.

I had one a few months ago that wouldn't hold vac pressure and I really wanted
to finish the bottom..
out of desperation, I put it in one of the wife's "food saver" bags and had her
machine pull the air out and seal the bag..
I put it on the vacuum chuck bag and all and just turned away any plastic that
got in my way, along with finishing the bowl bottom..

When I was done, like you said, the bowl slipped right out of what was left of
the bag when I turned the vac pump off..

I wouldn't recommend this method, or suggest that it's safe, but it worked for
me.. (once)

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I use a similar procedure as Mac had used although extended a bit. I
have finished turning several (8 or 9) bowls. I then set up the cole
jaws and do the bottoms. Then I set up the buffing system and do all
at once. For me it seems a bit more efficient. There is also that
small pleasure that comes with having several bowls finished all at
once and then carting them upstairs for the wife's persusal.

On Apr 26, 1:56 pm, mac davis wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:01:45 -0700 (PDT), Kevin wrote:

I use a similar procedure as Mac had used although extended a bit. I
have finished turning several (8 or 9) bowls. I then set up the cole
jaws and do the bottoms. Then I set up the buffing system and do all
at once. For me it seems a bit more efficient. There is also that
small pleasure that comes with having several bowls finished all at
once and then carting them upstairs for the wife's persusal.

I've seen the light and changed my ways, Kevin.. lol

Since I started vacuum chucking a few years ago, I pretty much do one project at
a time, inside and out, unless it's something that needs gluing/clamping or I
just haven't decided what the next step will be..

I just got tired of the stacks of stuff waiting to have the bottoms done...
It's so much easier to unscrew the lathe chuck and screw the vac chuck on than
it was to mount those damn jumbo jaws..

I do, however, have a shelf next to the buffer.. It just seems natural to buff
several things on a wheel, then change wheels..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Why not make a set of jaws and try them out? Sort of a try before you buy
thing. On the other hand I have seen no reason to buy a set when the home
made ones are fine.
http://aroundthewoods.com/jaws.shtml

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"mac davis" wrote in message
[...]

FA: Cole Drill [email protected] Metalworking 1 March 23rd 08 02:41 PM
Cole Jaws Woodborg Woodturning 18 December 17th 06 04:57 PM
Source for a new Cole Drill [email protected] Metalworking 1 November 13th 05 11:44 PM
Homemade Cole Jaw tips s.bernstein Woodturning 3 September 14th 04 04:01 AM
Cole vise info Little Metalworking 0 December 28th 03 01:42 AM