Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Kevin Kevin is offline

Default Cole Jaw Set CM021

I use a similar procedure as Mac had used although extended a bit. I
have finished turning several (8 or 9) bowls. I then set up the cole
jaws and do the bottoms. Then I set up the buffing system and do all
at once. For me it seems a bit more efficient. There is also that
small pleasure that comes with having several bowls finished all at
once and then carting them upstairs for the wife's persusal.

On Apr 26, 1:56 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 09:53:05 -0700, "Lynn" wrote:
Gosh, there is certainly no shortage of good ideas in this group!
Fred's publication planted seeds of thought of a 6 or 8 pin Longworth
that might be a good alternative to the Cole chuck. I kind of like the
idea of not having to take the Cole chuck jaws on and off with related
hunt for fumbled screws in the chips. (I've got an old magnetron magnet
that has saved lots of time in the lost parts searches)

Old Chief Lynn

Yep.. a lot of factors, including the hassle that you mention...

Also, there's the cost.. I have Oneway chucks, so I bought the "jumbo" jaws...
About $100 with shipping at the time... Probably more now..

They were really cool, at first, then I started finding excuses NOT to use them,
including having a stack of bowls waiting for a "jumbo jaw" day..

I haven't used them since I started vacuum chucking a couple of years ago, and
the cost of the jaws was 1/2 of what it cost me to set up the vacuum system..

Price of experience, I guess.. :-]

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing