Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Wood to NOT eat on

Hello Turners,
Are there any species of wood that would be toxic to eat on. I have
some Bloodwood, Chatke Kok, Purple Heart and Eastern Red Cedar and Red
Oak. I'd like to turn some bowls, some tea cups, sake cups and
spurtles (for stirring porridge/oatmeal) Kingwood looks good too. Tea
and Sake are served hot, and well you know about oatmeal. I've done
spurtles in Maple, nice wood. Oh yeah, Cocobolo is beautiful also. Can
I eat from these woods?
Thanks,
Taka
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Taka writes:
Red Oak.

Red oak is porous - liquids would leak out, and you'd have a hard time
cleaning the food out of the tiny holes. You'd need a finish that
would fill the pores, and then you have to worry about the finish too.

Now white oak - they make wine barrels out of that, so it "must be
safe" to use :-)
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Here are a couple of lists that might be helpful.

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/roche/...isc/wood.toxic
http://www.woodturner.org/resources/toxicity.cfm
http://www.thewoodbox.com/data/wood/toxicityinfo.htm
http://www.awwg.org/awg_woodtoxicity.htm

OK, so I can't count (that is more than a couple). Hope these sights help.
More available by searching "wood toxicity" on the web.

JD

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

Taka writes:
Red Oak.

Red oak is porous - liquids would leak out, and you'd have a hard time
cleaning the food out of the tiny holes. You'd need a finish that
would fill the pores, and then you have to worry about the finish too.

Now white oak - they make wine barrels out of that, so it "must be
safe" to use :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi JD,
Thank you very much for the resources. I found those same sites when I
Googled "wood toxicity". To be honest they give a lot of information
about wood dust. Not much there about, "OK, let's make a bowl out of
Bloodwood and eat our Cheerios out of it and then fall on the floor
because Bloodwood is toxic." Oak barrels, and maple sugar and walnuts
in cookies and now I'm just guessing. The woods I want to use are
exotic, i.e. they are from far away. Please understand, I've searched,
"hot wine bloodwood cup death", no hits, LOL. "bloodwood barrel" gets
you a miniature artwork barrel, cute, no wine. Cocobolo dust can
seriously impair some people, it they drank hot Sake from a Cocobolo
cup would they get sick? No one seems to know. Here's one for you:
"Vicki S. Wood, one of the Milams' lawyers, said the couple were
victims of chromated copper arsenate, or C.C.A., the predominant wood
preservative in the United States and the subject of an emerging body
of product liability lawsuits around the country. Some of the lumber
for the Milams' two-story cabin frame had been treated with C.C.A.,
which prevents decay and repels termites. It also contains arsenic."
OK, CCA is BAD. Is it in Chatke Kok? Probably not. This is WAAAAY
more complicated than just making small bowls. LOL
Thanks for your help.
Taka

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/roche/...odtoxicity.htm

"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

Taka writes:
Red Oak.

Red oak is porous - liquids would leak out, and you'd have a hard time
cleaning the food out of the tiny holes. You'd need a finish that
would fill the pores, and then you have to worry about the finish too.

Now white oak - they make wine barrels out of that, so it "must be
safe" to use :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

avoid anything from the deadly nightshade family, and probably anything from
Australia (sorry guys, but the nasty australian stuff is so especially nasty
that it's safer just to avoid it all when food is the issue)

"Taka" wrote in message
Hello Turners,
Are there any species of wood that would be toxic to eat on. I have
some Bloodwood, Chatke Kok, Purple Heart and Eastern Red Cedar and Red
Oak. I'd like to turn some bowls, some tea cups, sake cups and
spurtles (for stirring porridge/oatmeal) Kingwood looks good too. Tea
and Sake are served hot, and well you know about oatmeal. I've done
spurtles in Maple, nice wood. Oh yeah, Cocobolo is beautiful also. Can
I eat from these woods?
Thanks,
Taka

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Taka, I guess hemlock trees aren't toxic like poison hemlock
plants, but I wouldn't turn a cup out of it and label it. Except for a
member of "The Hemlock Society" a 'cup of hemlock' might be a turnoff
for a customer or giftee. OTOH, it could be a novelty mate cup.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
(Arch) wrote:

Hi Taka, I guess hemlock trees aren't toxic like poison hemlock
plants, but I wouldn't turn a cup out of it and label it. Except for a
member of "The Hemlock Society" a 'cup of hemlock' might be a turnoff
for a customer or giftee. OTOH, it could be a novelty mate cup.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Tree Hemlock is an evergreen, not related to poison hemlock (which is in
the carrot family)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I knew there was a reason I did not eat carrots.

Bruce

Ralph E Lindberg wrote:
In article ,
(Arch) wrote:

Hi Taka, I guess hemlock trees aren't toxic like poison hemlock
plants, but I wouldn't turn a cup out of it and label it. Except for a
member of "The Hemlock Society" a 'cup of hemlock' might be a turnoff
for a customer or giftee. OTOH, it could be a novelty mate cup.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Tree Hemlock is an evergreen, not related to poison hemlock (which is in
the carrot family)

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article
Taka writes:
Hello Turners,
Are there any species of wood that would be toxic to eat on. I have

I wanted to latch on to this thread to ask about black locust.
I see in the pages recently referenced that the leaves and bark are
toxic, and apparently the sawdust isn't to be taken lightly. But
once the work is done and the dust is cleaned off, is a black locust
bowl a bad thing to put food in? Would it matter if it was popcorn
vs. dip?

I finally figured out that my recent acquisition is black locust
(thrown off by it being such a non-black wood), and I want to be
certain what I should aim at making.

--
Drew Lawson And I know there's more to the story
I know I need to see more
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Apr 15, 11:28*am, (Drew Lawson) wrote:
In article
* * * * Taka writes:

Hello Turners,
Are there any species of wood that would be toxic to eat on. I have

I wanted to latch on to this thread to ask about black locust.
I see in the pages recently referenced that the leaves and bark are
toxic, and apparently the sawdust isn't to be taken lightly. *But

I have never had any problems with wood being poisonous, or the eating/
drinking from it,
all these are mostly N.American woods, though I've turned and used a
few tropicals as well.

Here's a small clipping about the black locust poison, btw the flowers
are considered edible.

: "various reports have suggested that the seeds and the young pods of
the black locust can be edible when cooked, since the poisons that are
contained in this plant are decomposed by heat."

So it seems if you want to eat the wood, you'd have to heat it
first ;-)))

Some of my turnings are here,
http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum26.html

Have fun and take care