Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Taka Taka is offline

Default Wood to NOT eat on

Hi JD,
Thank you very much for the resources. I found those same sites when I
Googled "wood toxicity". To be honest they give a lot of information
about wood dust. Not much there about, "OK, let's make a bowl out of
Bloodwood and eat our Cheerios out of it and then fall on the floor
because Bloodwood is toxic." Oak barrels, and maple sugar and walnuts
in cookies and now I'm just guessing. The woods I want to use are
exotic, i.e. they are from far away. Please understand, I've searched,
"hot wine bloodwood cup death", no hits, LOL. "bloodwood barrel" gets
you a miniature artwork barrel, cute, no wine. Cocobolo dust can
seriously impair some people, it they drank hot Sake from a Cocobolo
cup would they get sick? No one seems to know. Here's one for you:
"Vicki S. Wood, one of the Milams' lawyers, said the couple were
victims of chromated copper arsenate, or C.C.A., the predominant wood
preservative in the United States and the subject of an emerging body
of product liability lawsuits around the country. Some of the lumber
for the Milams' two-story cabin frame had been treated with C.C.A.,
which prevents decay and repels termites. It also contains arsenic."
OK, CCA is BAD. Is it in Chatke Kok? Probably not. This is WAAAAY
more complicated than just making small bowls. LOL
Thanks for your help.
Taka

On Apr 13, 8:14 pm, "JD" wrote:
Here are a couple of lists that might be helpful.

http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/roche/...odtoxicity.htm

OK, so I can't count (that is more than a couple). Hope these sights help.
More available by searching "wood toxicity" on the web.

JD

--
He that will make a good use of any part
of his life must allow a large portion of it
"DJ Delorie" wrote in message

Taka writes:
Red Oak.

Red oak is porous - liquids would leak out, and you'd have a hard time
cleaning the food out of the tiny holes. You'd need a finish that
would fill the pores, and then you have to worry about the finish too.

Now white oak - they make wine barrels out of that, so it "must be
safe" to use :-)