Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noble Bill Noble is offline

Default Wood to NOT eat on

avoid anything from the deadly nightshade family, and probably anything from
Australia (sorry guys, but the nasty australian stuff is so especially nasty
that it's safer just to avoid it all when food is the issue)

"Taka" wrote in message
Hello Turners,
Are there any species of wood that would be toxic to eat on. I have
some Bloodwood, Chatke Kok, Purple Heart and Eastern Red Cedar and Red
Oak. I'd like to turn some bowls, some tea cups, sake cups and
spurtles (for stirring porridge/oatmeal) Kingwood looks good too. Tea
and Sake are served hot, and well you know about oatmeal. I've done
spurtles in Maple, nice wood. Oh yeah, Cocobolo is beautiful also. Can
I eat from these woods?
Thanks,
Taka