Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default First Bowl

Hi all,

I'm making my first bowl. Years ago, my
dad had signed up for a turner's course
and got to the point where he had his
blank that was about 9" by 4" and it was
glued onto a faceplate mounter. That's
as far as he got, and it was moved more
times than my mother cares to remember.

Dad died last spring and my mom produced
this blank and said, "Please do
something with it." I figured it was a
good starter project. A simple
straight-walled bowl with nothing fancy
to it.

It is. I'm having a great time. I have
sharp tools, Darrel's jigs and a
mountain of shavings. All I'm working
with is a skew, thumbnail gouge and
parting tool. I haven't seen much use
for the parter yet, and expect I won't.

I've got the outside mostly round, and
the inside roughed out.

But the inside walls are where I"m
having some problems. Two, to be exact.
They're likely related.

I can't get the wall smooth. One of the
reasons is that to get to the inside
wall, I nearly have to stand on my head
to get the tool on the wall. (Wall
closest to me. I can easily reach the
far wall, but the wall's going the wrong
direction. DAMHIKT if you put a gouge on
the wrong direction wall, the butt of
the gouge will kick back. Into your
chest. Leaving you breathless. And
looking 'round to see if anyone
witnessed it.)

As stated, I don't have gouges that are
bent to get into those places, and I'm
wondering if I can get my walls smoother
without having to turn the lathe around.
Or buying new tools.

Anyone got any suggestions?

TIA

Tanus

Really Big Bowl Harry B. Pye Woodturning 4 October 27th 05 03:12 AM
Ash Bowl robo hippy Woodturning 5 August 4th 05 04:21 PM
The Big Bowl? Paulco Woodturning 7 August 4th 05 03:23 AM
A Big Big Big Bowl STEFANEE STIEN Woodturning 9 November 14th 04 12:21 AM
MDF Bowl Francis R. Vesey Woodturning 3 August 4th 04 07:21 AM