Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

Default Wood Bleach

I turned some wet apple into natural edge bowls. They turned out
great. BUT...

After a few days they started to get some black mold spots. I used
some wood bleach on them and it got rid of the mold spots and whitened
up the sap wood. They looked great. BUT...

Now they have been setting for about a week or so. I went out today
to finish sand them and they all have turned pink. Mostly the sap
wood. Now they don't look so great.

This is the first time I ever used wood bleach. Is there something I
could have done wrong? Is there a way to get rid of the pink color?
Help!!

Ted
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Feb 14, 8:11*pm, Ted wrote:
I turned some wet apple into natural edge bowls. *They turned out
great. *BUT...

After a few days they started to get some black mold spots. *I used
some wood bleach on them and it got rid of the mold spots and whitened
up the sap wood. *They looked great. *BUT...

Now they have been setting for about a week or so. *I went out today
to finish sand them and they all have turned pink. *Mostly the sap
wood. *Now they don't look so great.

This is the first time I ever used wood bleach. *Is there something I
could have done wrong? *Is there a way to get rid of the pink color?
Help!!

Ted

Hi Ted
I don't think you can reverse what you have done.
So I would suggest you either live with it or sand or turn it off.
The bleaching is almost always very shallow, but it takes a while
sanding,
if you can return it you would get it dome a lot quicker.
Next time you have some mold just wipe it off with a dry rag, then get
a little drier place for it,
the mold stain from just a few days old does sand off easy
Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Ted" wrote in message
I turned some wet apple into natural edge bowls. They turned out
great. BUT...

After a few days they started to get some black mold spots. I used
some wood bleach on them and it got rid of the mold spots and whitened
up the sap wood. They looked great. BUT...

Now they have been setting for about a week or so. I went out today
to finish sand them and they all have turned pink. Mostly the sap
wood. Now they don't look so great.

This is the first time I ever used wood bleach. Is there something I
could have done wrong? Is there a way to get rid of the pink color?
Help!!

The pink is probably a combination of chemistry, because the sapwood does
contain the chemicals which color the heartwood, and some leaching of the
extractives in the heartwood along the borders. Only answer I have to the
problem, and it's the same with cherry, walnut and the like, is to dry
things more rapidly. Also helps with the mildew.

Try blasting compressed air through the wood to kick out the maximum amount
of unbound water, and you might shorten the time it takes to get below 18%
moisture by a day or two. Mildew can make a lot of growth in two days.

The two-part wood bleaches are your candidate, but if you get them in the
heartwood, things can get splotchy.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

I sanded and sanded and sanded. It comes off with sanding. Not
perfectly white but it is pretty good.
Thanks. Ted

So I would suggest you either live with it or sand or turn it off.
The bleaching is almost always very shallow, but it takes a while
sanding,

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

A lot of woods will do this, especially fruit woods. The sap wood is
white until exposed to air, then it goes red/orange/pink/yellow. I
figure it is a kind of oxidation. Some woods get darker with age, some
get lighter. Can't do much about it unless you put it into a vacuum
with no UV light. You can sand it out, and it will still go pink
again. Welcome to the world of wood.
robo hippy
On Feb 17, 7:32*am, Ted wrote:
I sanded and sanded and sanded. *It comes off with sanding. *Not
perfectly white but it is pretty good.
Thanks. *Ted

So I would suggest you either live with it or sand or turn it off.
The bleaching is almost always very shallow, but it takes a while
sanding,

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

On Feb 17, 8:21 pm, robo hippy wrote:
A lot of woods will do this, especially fruit woods. The sap wood is
white until exposed to air, then it goes red/orange/pink/yellow. I
figure it is a kind of oxidation. Some woods get darker with age, some
get lighter. Can't do much about it unless you put it into a vacuum
with no UV light. You can sand it out, and it will still go pink
again. Welcome to the world of wood.
robo hippy

I hate to go off topic but..... Robo, you mentioned oxidation and I'm
inclined to agree, but how would I promote oxidation. Here is the
reason I'm curious. I picked up some osage orange from a ladies yard
that had been cut for several weeks. Instead of being the typical
yellow color, the cut ends of the logs were a beautiful red color. I
had never turned osage, so imagine my surprise when I cut it open and
found out the wood was actually yellow. I like the look of the wood as
it is, but I'd like to see some of the red color that I saw when I
picked the wood up. I know that bleach is an oxidizer, does anyone
know if the red appeared in the osage because of oxidation, and if it
did, would bleach bring out more of it? Hmmmmm..... sounds like an
experiment could be coming on, but didn't want to repeat something
that has already been done.

THanks,
JD

How to bleach decking? Eddy[_2_] UK diy 5 February 15th 08 10:28 AM
Oxygen Bleach alexander.keys1 UK diy 51 February 17th 07 08:40 AM
Where can I buy some Wood Bleach in West Yorks? steeler UK diy 5 August 10th 06 01:38 AM
Bleach vs. Tilex Steve Henderson Home Repair 15 December 20th 04 03:58 PM
Where do I get cholorine bleach?` meirman Home Repair 8 October 31st 04 12:43 PM