Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to bleach decking?

Hi.

We have a lot of decking round this house. The previous owners had lots
of pots all over it and of course they've taken all their pots with
them. Where the pots stood, there are now light circles. The decking
that wasn't covered has darkened.

One solution would be to go round putting pots in every position where
they were previously, but we would rather not enter the world of
pot-maintenance and pot-watering! So I am wondering if bleaching all
the decking might create a unifying effect? Would a bleach solution
lighten the wood that was not "protected" by the pots? On the other
hand, maybe a bleach solution might do more than lighten the wood - it
might damage it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Hi.

We have a lot of decking round this house. The previous owners had lots
of pots all over it and of course they've taken all their pots with
them. Where the pots stood, there are now light circles. The decking
that wasn't covered has darkened.

One solution would be to go round putting pots in every position where
they were previously, but we would rather not enter the world of
pot-maintenance and pot-watering! So I am wondering if bleaching all
the decking might create a unifying effect? Would a bleach solution
lighten the wood that was not "protected" by the pots? On the other
hand, maybe a bleach solution might do more than lighten the wood - it
might damage it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Eddy.

The rings should change colour naturally if left uncovered. The only
bleach worth talking about is the 2 part peroxide stuff, which isn't
cheap, and may well reduce the life of the wood. Oxalic acid is
recommended for decking but it seems like a lot of money for what it is.
I've never had much luck with it
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Hi.

We have a lot of decking round this house. The previous owners had
lots of pots all over it and of course they've taken all their pots
with them. Where the pots stood, there are now light circles. The
decking that wasn't covered has darkened.

One solution would be to go round putting pots in every position where
they were previously, but we would rather not enter the world of
pot-maintenance and pot-watering! So I am wondering if bleaching all
the decking might create a unifying effect? Would a bleach solution
lighten the wood that was not "protected" by the pots? On the other
hand, maybe a bleach solution might do more than lighten the wood - it
might damage it.

I've used bleach to clean my deck a few times. Bottle of Tesco's own label
in a bucket of water. Works a treat.

Probably a mixture of sunlight & dirt, so a good cleaning with bleach will
even it out.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
The rings should change colour naturally if left uncovered. The only
bleach worth talking about is the 2 part peroxide stuff, which isn't
cheap, and may well reduce the life of the wood. Oxalic acid is
recommended for decking but it seems like a lot of money for what it is.
I've never had much luck with it

Thanks, Stuart. Have googled a bit and found warnings against using
chlorine bleach, but that oxygen bleach is the thing to use, followed by
several coats of "synthetic epoxy resin water repellent". Will have to
have a look round BnQ and/or Focus to see if these products are
available. This could be good, the only problem in my case is that the
previous owner threw salt around when it snowed and all the screws have
turned rusty and the rust has impregnated the immediately-surrounding
wood. I doubt if the oxygen bleach will remove this as well. Instead
it seems to me it will show these rust circles up.

My previous thought was to use an ebony wood preservative, as black
hides a multitude of sins, but various sites suggest that the film/paint
is no end of trouble.

What to do?

Eddy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
[...]

As I said, I've used normal bleach no problem. I asked a on USA based
woodwork group "how do you clean your decks" & got half a dozen replies
saying 'bleach'.

I've never heard of "synthetic epoxy resin water repellent". (surely epoxy
resin must be synthetic?).

I'd steer clear of anything that forms a coating on the surface, hard to
maintain & generally looks awful.

I'd suggest;

Clean it with a pressure wasure or bleach or decking cleaner (in that
order).

Treat it with Ronseal decking oil, you can get pine or cedar flavour.

Don't expect perfection, its a deck :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Eddy wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
The rings should change colour naturally if left uncovered. The only
bleach worth talking about is the 2 part peroxide stuff, which isn't
cheap, and may well reduce the life of the wood. Oxalic acid is
recommended for decking but it seems like a lot of money for what it is.
I've never had much luck with it

Thanks, Stuart. Have googled a bit and found warnings against using
chlorine bleach, but that oxygen bleach is the thing to use

Oxygen bleach is a powder sold as "laundry bleach". Ecover is the brand
name that springs to mind and you should find it, or an equivalent, in
the bigger supermarkets.

Interesting snippet here

http://www.sciencepunk.com/v5/2006/11/ecover/

, followed by
several coats of "synthetic epoxy resin water repellent". Will have to
have a look round BnQ and/or Focus to see if these products are
available. This could be good, the only problem in my case is that the
previous owner threw salt around when it snowed and all the screws have
turned rusty and the rust has impregnated the immediately-surrounding
wood. I doubt if the oxygen bleach will remove this as well. Instead
it seems to me it will show these rust circles up.

My previous thought was to use an ebony wood preservative, as black
hides a multitude of sins, but various sites suggest that the film/paint
is no end of trouble.

I'd agree with TMH. Don't

Decking oil or Decking stain+presertive Mike P UK diy 12 July 4th 07 01:59 PM
Oxygen Bleach alexander.keys1 UK diy 51 February 17th 07 08:40 AM
Bleach or Drain Cleaner??? R. Gerard Home Repair 3 April 14th 06 12:28 PM
Bleach vs. Tilex Steve Henderson Home Repair 15 December 20th 04 03:58 PM
Where do I get cholorine bleach?` meirman Home Repair 8 October 31st 04 12:43 PM