Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default How to bleach decking?

Eddy wrote:
Hi.

We have a lot of decking round this house. The previous owners had lots
of pots all over it and of course they've taken all their pots with
them. Where the pots stood, there are now light circles. The decking
that wasn't covered has darkened.

One solution would be to go round putting pots in every position where
they were previously, but we would rather not enter the world of
pot-maintenance and pot-watering! So I am wondering if bleaching all
the decking might create a unifying effect? Would a bleach solution
lighten the wood that was not "protected" by the pots? On the other
hand, maybe a bleach solution might do more than lighten the wood - it
might damage it.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Eddy.

The rings should change colour naturally if left uncovered. The only
bleach worth talking about is the 2 part peroxide stuff, which isn't
cheap, and may well reduce the life of the wood. Oxalic acid is
recommended for decking but it seems like a lot of money for what it is.
I've never had much luck with it