Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Cheap Bowl Lathe

My Idea of a cheap Bowl lathe.
Old Craftman monotube Lathe $10.00
Faceplates 4 inch disk $5.00 3 inch disk $0.00
above trued up drilled and tapped 3/4 16 tpi $0.00
Treadmill motor and controller $0.00

Total cost $15.00

I drilled and tappped the faceplates myself. trueing them up took a litttle
while but they work.
I still have to make a freestanding toolrest but that may have to wait until
it is a little warmer.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

How do you plan on keeping it upright? The holding bolt holes demand that
the ways be there to prevent lean.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate
"Steven Raphael" wrote in message
My Idea of a cheap Bowl lathe.
Old Craftman monotube Lathe $10.00
Faceplates 4 inch disk $5.00 3 inch disk $0.00
above trued up drilled and tapped 3/4 16 tpi $0.00
Treadmill motor and controller $0.00

Total cost $15.00

I drilled and tappped the faceplates myself. trueing them up took a
litttle
while but they work.
I still have to make a freestanding toolrest but that may have to wait
until
it is a little warmer.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Steven, Hadn't realized that "Raphael" was Scottish. You might
find some cheap and dirty accessories to go with your lathe in my recent
post on depression proofing turner's wallets.

Unless you have a machine shop, You might want to just true up whatever
you screw on the face plates instead of spending time trueing the
faceplates themselves. They will probably hold the work better if you
leave the faces a bit rough or at least not a mirror finish. Even rusted
isn't as bad as it looks. Sort of like an ugly woman with a sweet
personality.

Tip for flattening the faces of small metal discs, washers etc. without
scraping: Flat three of them by rubbing together two of the three
faces randomly with abrasive paste between them. Probably works the same
way that three people can settle an argument that two people can't. I
once made three decent surface plates this way.

You likely know all these things, but someone here might not. Enjoy
your "new" lathe .....and your savings!

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 19:45:41 -0500, "Steven Raphael"
wrote:

My Idea of a cheap Bowl lathe.
Old Craftman monotube Lathe $10.00
Faceplates 4 inch disk $5.00 3 inch disk $0.00
above trued up drilled and tapped 3/4 16 tpi $0.00
Treadmill motor and controller $0.00

Total cost $15.00

I drilled and tappped the faceplates myself. trueing them up took a litttle
while but they work.
I still have to make a freestanding toolrest but that may have to wait until
it is a little warmer.

How well does the treadmill motor do?

I have a treadmill that the rollers gave up on and was wondering what use I
might get out of the motor and electronics..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

It does work but right now I have to estimate the speed based on the sound
of the spinning headstock for those turners that are just learning this is
not a good idea as unless you have been turning a while sound can be
decieving. This method of estimating speed can be dangerous as well.

wrote:

My Idea of a cheap Bowl lathe.
Old Craftman monotube Lathe $10.00
Faceplates 4 inch disk $5.00 3 inch disk $0.00
above trued up drilled and tapped 3/4 16 tpi $0.00
Treadmill motor and controller $0.00

Total cost $15.00

I drilled and tappped the faceplates myself. trueing them up took a

litttle
while but they work.
I still have to make a freestanding toolrest but that may have to wait

until
it is a little warmer.

How well does the treadmill motor do?

I have a treadmill that the rollers gave up on and was wondering what use

might get out of the motor and electronics..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

My father is Italian(his father)/irish what a combination. but on the same
note I am part Scottish on my mothers side of the family. Read your post on
depression proofing turner's wallets loved it used some of those techniques
over the years.
"Arch" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 09:49:22 -0500, "Steven Raphael"
wrote:

It does work but right now I have to estimate the speed based on the sound
of the spinning headstock for those turners that are just learning this is
not a good idea as unless you have been turning a while sound can be
decieving. This method of estimating speed can be dangerous as well.

hmm... I guess on mine I could get someone more math orientated than me to
figure out what rpm it's turning to do say 3 mph and go from there..

I guess if it can hold me up it could turn wood over..

.. .

wrote:

My Idea of a cheap Bowl lathe.
Old Craftman monotube Lathe $10.00
Faceplates 4 inch disk $5.00 3 inch disk $0.00
above trued up drilled and tapped 3/4 16 tpi $0.00
Treadmill motor and controller $0.00

Total cost $15.00

I drilled and tappped the faceplates myself. trueing them up took a

litttle
while but they work.
I still have to make a freestanding toolrest but that may have to wait

until
it is a little warmer.

How well does the treadmill motor do?

I have a treadmill that the rollers gave up on and was wondering what use

might get out of the motor and electronics..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm cm is offline

Steven,

I have a friend that makes his own faceplates and they are the ugliest
things you have ever seen and not one is close to running true, but that
does not matter once you true up the wooden blank that is attached to the
faceplate. He makes his living with these crappy faceplates a, $25.00
grinder with cheap gray wheels, and a ugly home built wood lathe.

cm

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

"Steven Raphael" wrote in message
My Idea of a cheap Bowl lathe.
Old Craftman monotube Lathe $10.00
Faceplates 4 inch disk $5.00 3 inch disk $0.00
above trued up drilled and tapped 3/4 16 tpi $0.00
Treadmill motor and controller $0.00

Total cost $15.00

I drilled and tappped the faceplates myself. trueing them up took a
litttle
while but they work.
I still have to make a freestanding toolrest but that may have to wait
until
it is a little warmer.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm cm is offline

Steven,

Here is a link to Eric's work turned out by his cheap home made tools. Click
on any picture and check out the dimensions of the vessels.
http://www.somegallery.net/lima/index.html

www.vintagetrailersforsale.com

cm

"Steven Raphael" wrote in message
My Idea of a cheap Bowl lathe.
Old Craftman monotube Lathe $10.00
Faceplates 4 inch disk $5.00 3 inch disk $0.00
above trued up drilled and tapped 3/4 16 tpi $0.00
Treadmill motor and controller $0.00

Total cost $15.00

I drilled and tappped the faceplates myself. trueing them up took a
litttle
while but they work.
I still have to make a freestanding toolrest but that may have to wait
until
it is a little warmer.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

well considering that I enjoy making things and making things work to me the
time that I fiddle with this does not bother me

If this was the only lathe that I had access to I would be better off buying
a different lathe

If I were to base the cost of my time that I have put into making it work on
my current hourly wage it would probably not be cost effective. But I am
having fun working with it so to me it is worth it.