Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default source for power-sanding attachment

please recommend an online source for purchasing a power-sanding
attachment
(round foam + short rod + velcro hooks)
What diameter would you recommend for 3-4 inch diameter boxes?
Does the source have pads of the same size or does this require some
fancy
scissor work?
thx

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Max,

Darrell's website, one that probably oughta be in your list, has
instructions on making your own. I adapted his instructions to make
my own passive sanders. For the round foam, an old mouse pad; for the
short rod, a bolt of the appropriate size; velcro was purchased at the
local hardware store.

http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sander.shtml
http://www.aroundthewoods.com/sander02.html

On Nov 4, 10:39 am, Max63 wrote:
please recommend an online source for purchasing a power-sanding
attachment
(round foam + short rod + velcro hooks)
What diameter would you recommend for 3-4 inch diameter boxes?
Does the source have pads of the same size or does this require some
fancy
scissor work?
thx

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 04 Nov 2007 07:39:31 -0800, Max63 wrote:

please recommend an online source for purchasing a power-sanding
attachment
(round foam + short rod + velcro hooks)
What diameter would you recommend for 3-4 inch diameter boxes?
Does the source have pads of the same size or does this require some
fancy
scissor work?
thx

I started with these a few years ago:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...OD&ProdID=3264

I've replaced them a few times, but mostly use the 2"...
I also have a 1", which is handy for small boxes, goblets, etc.

I started with the "Wave" paper and found them way too thin and expendable for
the money..

Craft supplies has the best deals and service on H&L disks and also sells
replacement H&L material by the sheet..
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...and_Loop?Args=

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st... n_discs?Args=

I've used the light duty ones and used a LOT of disks... then went up to their
next price range, the green ones, and found them to outlast the cheap ones so
much that they're really more economical to use.. their more for bark and stuff,
so they don't tear, which the cheaper ones did quite a while before they were
dull..
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...um_green?Args=

I'd advise a few "intermediate" pads, also...
They are also H&L and you put them between the pad and disk for a softer or
harder surface and a bit more reach..

A crepe block will also make your disks last a lot longer, but remember that you
can clean sandpaper, but you can't sharpen it.. dull paper makes a lot more
heat, and heat is NOT a turner's friend..

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...92&cat=1,42500

I got one somewhere.. senior moment prevents me from finding a link.. *sigh*
Anyway, it's about 3" square and bonded to a bright orange (think easy for ol'
farts to find) holder with screw holes in the ears... great to have fastened on
or near the lathe..
Might have been Harbor Freight??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Mandrils for disc sanding are found in any of the catalogues. I do
like the ones from Craft supply the best. I do get pads to go on the
mandrils so that when they wear out, you just have to replace the pad,
and not the whole mandril. I get firm pads for sanding through the
lower grits (up to 120 or 150), and the soft pads for sanding with the
finer grits. The best discs I have found anywhere come from
www.VincesWoodNWonders.com. They are blue discs on a film, not paper.
They outsand anything else I have used about 2 to 1, and are relativly
cheap at $11 per 50 of the 3 inch discs (which are cut to 3 3/8 inch).
The most even grit pattern of any abrasives I have used. Also,
remember that slower sanding speeds do as well or better than the
higher speeds at cutting, and are easier on the paper and wood, and
pads.
robo hippy

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=VIEWPROD&Prod...

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...k_and_Loop___A...

dull..http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...k_and_Loop___P...

I'd advise a few "intermediate" pads, also...
They are also H&L and you put them between the pad and disk for a softer or
harder surface and a bit more reach..

A crepe block will also make your disks last a lot longer, but remember that you
can clean sandpaper, but you can't sharpen it.. dull paper makes a lot more
heat, and heat is NOT a turner's friend..

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...92&cat=1,42500

I got one somewhere.. senior moment prevents me from finding a link.. *sigh*
Anyway, it's about 3" square and bonded to a bright orange (think easy for ol'
farts to find) holder with screw holes in the ears... great to have fastened on
or near the lathe..
Might have been Harbor Freight??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

go here http://www.woodturners.org/tech_tips/frame_1.htm click on "simple
sander"

you can't have simpler than that
oups.com...

On Nov 4, 10:39 am, Max63 wrote:
please recommend an online source for purchasing a power-sanding
attachment
(round foam + short rod + velcro hooks)
What diameter would you recommend for 3-4 inch diameter boxes?
Does the source have pads of the same size or does this require some
fancy
scissor work?
thx

Power sanding for bowls... Patriarch Woodturning 35 June 4th 05 03:40 PM
Power sanding help please Richard Woodturning 6 June 1st 05 03:51 AM
Power sanding mac davis Woodturning 5 March 18th 05 05:07 PM
Source of 2" sanding rolls Gerald Ross Woodturning 7 March 6th 05 03:47 PM