Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Shattered bowl.

Following on from my earlier question, tonight I had some wood with some rot
within on the lathe.My wife came to the workshop door and as I walked past
the bowl it shattered into three pieces. One hit my elbow the other two
bounced off the ceiling. Stuff has left the lathe at speed before but this
was a first. Must say seeing herself taking to her heels on hearing the
bang was amusing.Thats the christmas orders stuffed then.

--
Boru

Slack Linux #328989
http://counter.li.org
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Boru" wrote in message
Following on from my earlier question, tonight I had some wood with some
rot
within on the lathe.My wife came to the workshop door and as I walked past
the bowl it shattered into three pieces. One hit my elbow the other two
bounced off the ceiling. Stuff has left the lathe at speed before but this
was a first. Must say seeing herself taking to her heels on hearing the
bang was amusing.Thats the christmas orders stuffed then.

At least you know what to get each other for Christmas. New underwear....

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:06:46 +0000, Boru wrote:

Following on from my earlier question, tonight I had some wood with some rot
within on the lathe.My wife came to the workshop door and as I walked past
the bowl it shattered into three pieces. One hit my elbow the other two
bounced off the ceiling. Stuff has left the lathe at speed before but this
was a first. Must say seeing herself taking to her heels on hearing the
bang was amusing.Thats the christmas orders stuffed then.

I'm guessing that the lathe was running... what speed?

Sounds as if the bowl was sitting on a table or something and decided to
demonstrate expansion...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:06:46 +0000, Boru wrote:

Following on from my earlier question, tonight I had some wood with some
rot within on the lathe.My wife came to the workshop door and as I walked
past the bowl it shattered into three pieces. One hit my elbow the other
two bounced off the ceiling. Stuff has left the lathe at speed before but
this was a first. Must say seeing herself taking to her heels on hearing
the bang was amusing.Thats the christmas orders stuffed then.

I'm guessing that the lathe was running... what speed?

Sounds as if the bowl was sitting on a table or something and decided to
demonstrate expansion...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Lathe was running at 1300 rpm.

--
Boru

Slack Linux #328989
http://counter.li.org
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George wrote:

"Boru" wrote in message
Following on from my earlier question, tonight I had some wood with some
rot
within on the lathe.My wife came to the workshop door and as I walked
past the bowl it shattered into three pieces. One hit my elbow the other
two bounced off the ceiling. Stuff has left the lathe at speed before but
this was a first. Must say seeing herself taking to her heels on hearing
the bang was amusing.Thats the christmas orders stuffed then.

At least you know what to get each other for Christmas. New underwear....

LOL!

--
Boru

Slack Linux #328989
http://counter.li.org

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 21:26:12 +0000, Boru wrote:

mac davis wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:06:46 +0000, Boru wrote:

Following on from my earlier question, tonight I had some wood with some
rot within on the lathe.My wife came to the workshop door and as I walked
past the bowl it shattered into three pieces. One hit my elbow the other
two bounced off the ceiling. Stuff has left the lathe at speed before but
this was a first. Must say seeing herself taking to her heels on hearing
the bang was amusing.Thats the christmas orders stuffed then.

I'm guessing that the lathe was running... what speed?

Sounds as if the bowl was sitting on a table or something and decided to
demonstrate expansion...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Lathe was running at 1300 rpm.

Sorry to keep asking questions, but we all learn from them...

What diameter was the bowl?

Thick or thin?

Have yo looked at the pieces to see if they broke along old cracks, punky parts
or whatever?

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

mac davis wrote:

[...]

More questions are fine.

Bowl was 9" wide, 6" deep and 1" thick. There was some rot in the wood but
nothing I could see to make a difference.

Thing is, there are two more roughed out sitting on the shelf.

--
Boru

Slack Linux #328989
http://counter.li.org
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:14:51 +0000, Boru wrote:

Sorry to keep asking questions, but we all learn from them...

What diameter was the bowl?

Thick or thin?

Have you looked at the pieces to see if they broke along old cracks, punky
parts or whatever?

More questions are fine.

Bowl was 9" wide, 6" deep and 1" thick. There was some rot in the wood but
nothing I could see to make a difference.

Thing is, there are two more roughed out sitting on the shelf.

Hmmm... I've had a few go, especially from unseen cracks that had obvious aging
once broken, but never on something that thick..

Sort of a no-brainer, but I'd be very careful with the other 2..
Hopefully, it was just some defect in the wood that the others won't have..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Nov 7, 5:39 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:14:51 +0000, Boru wrote:

Sorry to keep asking questions, but we all learn from them...

What diameter was the bowl?

Thick or thin?

Have you looked at the pieces to see if they broke along old cracks, punky
parts or whatever?

More questions are fine.

Bowl was 9" wide, 6" deep and 1" thick. There was some rot in the wood but
nothing I could see to make a difference.

Thing is, there are two more roughed out sitting on the shelf.

Did you notice any change in the sound as you were turning? I've
discovered that most problems announce themselves audibly before they
become serious.

Old Guy

Hmmm... I've had a few go, especially from unseen cracks that had obvious aging
once broken, but never on something that thick..

Sort of a no-brainer, but I'd be very careful with the other 2..
Hopefully, it was just some defect in the wood that the others won't have..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing- Hide quoted text -

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
JD JD is offline

You never mentioned what kind of wood you were turning. Recently I've
been turning some Sugar Maple. It turned nicely when I roughed it out.
However, when chucked back on the lathe the second time it hasn't been
so kind. Of the eight bowls I've turned to finish, 3 have, for lack of
a better word, "Popped" while on the lathe. It didn't appear to be
anything I did while turning. The wood just had the energy built up in
it from drying and as I turned the walls down to the finished size,
the bowls released the energy by splitting.
As was mentioned earlier, the sound changed immediately. I've 6 more
blanks to finish and I've found myself doing this with a cautious had
and an ear towards the change. Good luck with the other 2.

JD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

To answer all, I did`nt detect any change in sound but then the music in my
workshop is quite loud. The wood I was turning was Ash. Opened up this
morning, lit the stove, fired up the coffee, looked up at the remaining two
on the shelf and thought, hump that, spent the day turning spalted beech
instead.

--
Boru

Slack Linux #328989
http://counter.li.org
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 01:15:46 +0000, Boru wrote:

To answer all, I did`nt detect any change in sound but then the music in my
workshop is quite loud. The wood I was turning was Ash. Opened up this
morning, lit the stove, fired up the coffee, looked up at the remaining two
on the shelf and thought, hump that, spent the day turning spalted beech
instead.

ok.. Just a personal thing, but I won't have music on any more and if the wife
is watching tv, I'll close the door between the shop and great room..

I used to have music in the shop until I realized that without it I could not
only hear the clicking of a crack develop, but also tell if my tool is getting
ready to sharpen.. You just intuitively hear and feel how the tool is contacting
the spinning wood..