Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Boru[_2_] Boru[_2_] is offline

Default Shattered bowl.

mac davis wrote:

On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 21:06:46 +0000, Boru wrote:

Following on from my earlier question, tonight I had some wood with some
rot within on the lathe.My wife came to the workshop door and as I walked
past the bowl it shattered into three pieces. One hit my elbow the other
two bounced off the ceiling. Stuff has left the lathe at speed before but
this was a first. Must say seeing herself taking to her heels on hearing
the bang was amusing.Thats the christmas orders stuffed then.

I'm guessing that the lathe was running... what speed?

Sounds as if the bowl was sitting on a table or something and decided to
demonstrate expansion...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Lathe was running at 1300 rpm.