Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old Guy Old Guy is offline

Default Shattered bowl.

On Nov 7, 5:39 pm, mac davis wrote:
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 22:14:51 +0000, Boru wrote:

Sorry to keep asking questions, but we all learn from them...

What diameter was the bowl?

Thick or thin?

Have you looked at the pieces to see if they broke along old cracks, punky
parts or whatever?

More questions are fine.

Bowl was 9" wide, 6" deep and 1" thick. There was some rot in the wood but
nothing I could see to make a difference.

Thing is, there are two more roughed out sitting on the shelf.

Did you notice any change in the sound as you were turning? I've
discovered that most problems announce themselves audibly before they
become serious.

Old Guy

Hmmm... I've had a few go, especially from unseen cracks that had obvious aging
once broken, but never on something that thick..

Sort of a no-brainer, but I'd be very careful with the other 2..
Hopefully, it was just some defect in the wood that the others won't have..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing- Hide quoted text -