Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom tom is offline

Default Eucalyptus in Tucson

I guess there was a big breeze that came through last Saturday. I'd
gone over to see if there were any usable lumber lengths, but the
large main trunk had been cut up into 1-2 foot pieces. I grabbed a
couple chunks to see about some bowls. Smells great, but it's checking
quickly, which I hear is common for this type of wood.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/zip/412868234.html Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom wrote:
I guess there was a big breeze that came through last Saturday. I'd
gone over to see if there were any usable lumber lengths, but the
large main trunk had been cut up into 1-2 foot pieces. I grabbed a
couple chunks to see about some bowls. Smells great, but it's checking
quickly, which I hear is common for this type of wood.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/zip/412868234.html Tom

If it is like the eucalyptus that grows around here, the tree grows
twisted like a spiral. I looks great but on drying the stresses cause
the wood to unwind and it tears itself apart. Beautiful wood but a
bowl turns out looking like a potato chip if it doesn't split up in
pieces.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

The penalty for bigamy is having two
mothers-in-law.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Last time I turned some of that stuff I was working in a small shed, with
the doors shut. I knew it would smell so I didn't think much about it until
I found myself running for the nearest bucket. I cant turn the stuff now,
the first whiff of the stuff churns my stomach.
My advice, leave the windows or doors open, a little sniff of the stuff
is great when you have a cold, but a dirty great big bowl full of the stuff
was more than I could stomach.

Hotfoot.

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. ..
:
: If it is like the eucalyptus that grows around here, the tree grows
: twisted like a spiral. I looks great but on drying the stresses cause
: the wood to unwind and it tears itself apart. Beautiful wood but a
: bowl turns out looking like a potato chip if it doesn't split up in
: pieces.
:
: --
: Gerald Ross
: Cochran, GA
:
: The penalty for bigamy is having two
: mothers-in-law.
:
:
:
:

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom tom is offline

. ..: tom wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't mind a wildly convoluted bowl, sans cracks. Some research
says it moves while on the lathe, though. Okay... And I feel the same
way about the cordial "Southern Comfort", Hotfoot. Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

tom wrote in news:1189014077.481735.120130
@o80g2000hse.googlegroups.com:

I guess there was a big breeze that came through last Saturday. I'd
gone over to see if there were any usable lumber lengths, but the
large main trunk had been cut up into 1-2 foot pieces. I grabbed a
couple chunks to see about some bowls. Smells great, but it's checking
quickly, which I hear is common for this type of wood.
http://tucson.craigslist.org/zip/412868234.html Tom

There are turners in our area that work with it on occasion.

The Aussies will tell you that there are a bunch of eucalypts, and that
they have some unique variations. Ours, in the SF Bay area, are primarily
blue gums. Turn it wet, and stand back.

They were brought in to help build railroads over a century ago, a project
for which they are particularly poorly suited. Or so the story goes.

Patriarch

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

turn all at once setting, turn thin, really thin, and yes it will move on
the lathe -
boiling will help, but keeping it pretty wet and turning it to about 1/8 or
less will pretty much prevent splitting. just be prepared for some
distortion
oups.com...

. ..: tom wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

t...:tom wrote:

:
: If it is like the eucalyptus that grows around here, the tree grows
: twisted like a spiral. I looks great but on drying the stresses cause
: the wood to unwind and it tears itself apart. Beautiful wood but a
: bowl turns out looking like a potato chip if it doesn't split up in
: pieces.
:
: --
: Gerald Ross
: Cochran, GA
:

Yep, I've got a potato chip. But after 10 hours off the lathe, no
spliting as yet.... http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/ Thanks again
for the all the help. Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I checked your pictures. The wood's salmon color make me think it may
be African Sumac It's used a lot in your part of the country for
landscaping. Also, your bowl shows none of the typical internal
slitting or ruptures.

t...:tomwrote:

:
: If it is like the eucalyptus that grows around here, the tree grows
: twisted like a spiral. I looks great but on drying the stresses cause
: the wood to unwind and it tears itself apart. Beautiful wood but a
: bowl turns out looking like a potato chip if it doesn't split up in
: pieces.
:
: --
: Gerald Ross
: Cochran, GA
:

Yep, I've got a potato chip. But after 10 hours off the lathe, no
spliting as yet....http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/ Thanks again
for the all the help. Tom

Roof problem in Tucson, AZ [email protected] Home Repair 2 November 1st 06 02:53 PM
Karri (Eucalyptus Diversicolor) Jay Pique Woodworking 7 September 29th 06 02:47 AM
Blade sharpening in Tucson? Mark & Juanita Woodworking 7 November 26th 05 02:41 PM
Free Wood - Tucson AZ Jim Woodworking 7 June 6th 05 09:11 PM
For Sale - eBay - Powermatic 90 Lathe - Tucson AZ Jim Woodworking 0 June 5th 05 05:40 AM