Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roof problem in Tucson, AZ

Flat roofs that are typical of Southwest homes lead to an ever-present
problem: Rain water pools in low spots and, with the extreme summer
heat, cause the white coating to blister, eventually leading to roof
damage and leaks. This is particularly true in the corners. I am
thinking of building up the corners using plywood sheets supported on
propely-slanted 2x2s and then using wood screws to secure the structure
to the exisiting roof. This will be followed by sealing around the
playwood and covering the entire area with cemented fiberglass tar
paper in preparation for the white coating.

Am I going about it the right way? I have paid good money to so-called
professionals with unsatisfactory results. Hence is my desire to
undertake the project myself. Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair
cm cm is offline

Your idea should work just fine but a few comments on the white roof
coating.

The coating is not bubbling because of the heat. It is most likely from
standing water working it's way through the roof coating and causing it to
loose its adhesion to the roof. You can stop this by scraping the bubbled
areas to remove the loose roof coating and then applying a generous coat of
rubberized Koolseal roof primer and then top coating with your white roof
coating. The white roof coatings will not hold up to standing water with out
the primer. The best way to rid yourself of roof problems is to raise the
areas where the water stands so it will run off as you are planning to do.

cm

ups.com...