fred

Default Complicated slate roof structure - mainenance problem?

I'm interested in buying an old rambling house in france which is a bit of a mix of this
and that added to at various times and without any particular attention to continuity in
the roof surfaces. Including 4 or 5 small gables there must be over 20 different roof
surfaces and correspondingly just as many intersections though the total surface area
might be no more than an average family house (actually perhaps 50% more considering there
are also some vertically-hung sections).

It looks to be in good shape generally and was overhauled - indeed some of it was
possibly new - in 1980. What is a reasonable average life span for a well built slate
roof? Will it always be the junctions/valleys between sections that present the greatest
maintenance/repair problem or are the surfaces just as prone?

In general, is a complicated roof structure always going to be a potential maintenance
nightmare when compared to a straightforward 'V' shape typical of most terraced houses.

Would appreciate some feedback on this.
m Ransley

The copper or lead valleys would probably be the first thing to go. The
life of the roof depends on the quality of the slate , metals and
install. You should spend a few days there in the rain.

Chas Hurst

"fred" wrote in message
[...]

I live in SE PA and there are a number of older homes with slate roofs. Some
are well over 100 years old with original slate. In my area I think the
freeze thaw cycle of winter finally does them in after around 150 years. If
quality flashing is used on your roof it should outlast you and likely your
children.

Chas Hurst

Des Perado

I would ask some roofers in the area where the house is located. They
would be familiar with the materials and methods used in the area and
could best answer your questions and recommend solutions.
Des

"fred" wrote in message
[...]

Tom Miller

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:30:51 +0000, fred wrote:

| I'm interested in buying an old rambling house in france which is a bit of a mix of this
| and that added to at various times and without any particular attention to continuity in
| the roof surfaces. Including 4 or 5 small gables there must be over 20 different roof
| surfaces and correspondingly just as many intersections though the total surface area
| might be no more than an average family house (actually perhaps 50% more considering there
| are also some vertically-hung sections).
|
| It looks to be in good shape generally and was overhauled - indeed some of it was
| possibly new - in 1980. What is a reasonable average life span for a well built slate
| roof? Will it always be the junctions/valleys between sections that present the greatest
| maintenance/repair problem or are the surfaces just as prone?
|
| In general, is a complicated roof structure always going to be a potential maintenance
| nightmare when compared to a straightforward 'V' shape typical of most terraced houses.
|
| Would appreciate some feedback on this.

There are many slate roofs in my neighborhood, still quite functional
after 80-95 years. Some have had repairs, some not. As someone else
mentioned, what generally goes first is the flashing in the valleys.
The slate holds up nearly forever unless tree limbs fall on it.

My own roof is a type of tile made of colored cast concrete, sort of a
poor man's terra cotta. It is now 84 years old. I've had one major
repair and two minor one in the last 25 years, total cost around
$7000. Prior to that there seems to have been little or no maintenance
or repair as far as I can tell.

Of course, tile and slate are not quite the same. The slate roofs seem
to hold up better, last longer. But like tile, when they go it can be
expensive.

My recollection of France is that slate and tile is much more common
than here in the USA, and I presume more people are available to
repair it. Finding someone who can be relied on to do the work
properly is the problem I've run into. It's hard work but it doesn't
seem that complicated to me and I have done a substantial repair
myself on my (detached) garage roof when a tree limb hit it. Many
roofers won't touch it and when they do they don't do a good job. But
there is no way that this old back is going to wander around three
stories up on the house, lugging tiles up and down that steep slope.

fred

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:52:30 -0500, "Chas Hurst" wrote:

"fred" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

that's reassuring - thanks
fred

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:37:43 GMT, (Tom Miller) wrote:

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:30:51 +0000, fred wrote:

| I'm interested in buying an old rambling house in france which is a bit of a mix of this
| and that added to at various times and without any particular attention to continuity in
| the roof surfaces. Including 4 or 5 small gables there must be over 20 different roof
| surfaces and correspondingly just as many intersections though the total surface area
| might be no more than an average family house (actually perhaps 50% more considering there
| are also some vertically-hung sections).
|
| It looks to be in good shape generally and was overhauled - indeed some of it was
| possibly new - in 1980. What is a reasonable average life span for a well built slate
| roof? Will it always be the junctions/valleys between sections that present the greatest
| maintenance/repair problem or are the surfaces just as prone?
|
| In general, is a complicated roof structure always going to be a potential maintenance
| nightmare when compared to a straightforward 'V' shape typical of most terraced houses.
|
| Would appreciate some feedback on this.

There are many slate roofs in my neighborhood, still quite functional
after 80-95 years. Some have had repairs, some not. As someone else
mentioned, what generally goes first is the flashing in the valleys.
The slate holds up nearly forever unless tree limbs fall on it.

My own roof is a type of tile made of colored cast concrete, sort of a
poor man's terra cotta. It is now 84 years old. I've had one major
repair and two minor one in the last 25 years, total cost around
$7000. Prior to that there seems to have been little or no maintenance
or repair as far as I can tell.

Of course, tile and slate are not quite the same. The slate roofs seem
to hold up better, last longer. But like tile, when they go it can be
expensive.

My recollection of France is that slate and tile is much more common
than here in the USA, and I presume more people are available to
repair it. Finding someone who can be relied on to do the work
properly is the problem I've run into. It's hard work but it doesn't
seem that complicated to me and I have done a substantial repair
myself on my (detached) garage roof when a tree limb hit it. Many
roofers won't touch it and when they do they don't do a good job. But
there is no way that this old back is going to wander around three
stories up on the house, lugging tiles up and down that steep slope.

yes, I've done small slate repairs myself but as you say there comes a point when it's a
risk not worth taking. Sad to say I am at the age where confidence exceeds ability.

In alt.home.repair fred wrote:
What is a reasonable average life span for a well built slate roof?

Longer than your life span. 75years would be an exceptionally short
lifespan from a very cheaply done roof.

Will it always be the junctions/valleys between sections that present
the greatest maintenance/repair problem or are the surfaces just as
prone?

No, it's the flashing that will present a maintenance issue, but it's very
managable, and more on the scale of 30-40 years.

In general, is a complicated roof structure always going to be a
potential maintenance nightmare when compared to a straightforward 'V'
shape typical of most terraced houses.

Yes, you've got some potential for problems, but you've also got a fine
roof that realisticly is only going to need minor attention (work
on flashing) sometime in the next twenty to thirty years.

Would appreciate some feedback on this.

I would not let the complicated roof line dissuade me from a place with a
slate roof in good condition.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.