Default Complicated slate roof structure - mainenance problem?

In alt.home.repair fred wrote:
What is a reasonable average life span for a well built slate roof?

Longer than your life span. 75years would be an exceptionally short
lifespan from a very cheaply done roof.

Will it always be the junctions/valleys between sections that present
the greatest maintenance/repair problem or are the surfaces just as
prone?

No, it's the flashing that will present a maintenance issue, but it's very
managable, and more on the scale of 30-40 years.

In general, is a complicated roof structure always going to be a
potential maintenance nightmare when compared to a straightforward 'V'
shape typical of most terraced houses.

Yes, you've got some potential for problems, but you've also got a fine
roof that realisticly is only going to need minor attention (work
on flashing) sometime in the next twenty to thirty years.

Would appreciate some feedback on this.

I would not let the complicated roof line dissuade me from a place with a
slate roof in good condition.

John
--
Remove the dead poet to e-mail, tho CC'd posts are unwelcome.
Ask me about joining the NRA.