fred

Default Complicated slate roof structure - mainenance problem?

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:52:30 -0500, "Chas Hurst" wrote:

"fred" wrote in message
.. .
I'm interested in buying an old rambling house in france which is a bit of

a mix of this
and that added to at various times and without any particular attention to

continuity in
the roof surfaces. Including 4 or 5 small gables there must be over 20

different roof
surfaces and correspondingly just as many intersections though the total

surface area
might be no more than an average family house (actually perhaps 50% more

considering there
are also some vertically-hung sections).

It looks to be in good shape generally and was overhauled - indeed some

of it was
possibly new - in 1980. What is a reasonable average life span for a

well built slate
roof? Will it always be the junctions/valleys between sections that

present the greatest
maintenance/repair problem or are the surfaces just as prone?

In general, is a complicated roof structure always going to be a potential

maintenance
nightmare when compared to a straightforward 'V' shape typical of most

terraced houses.

Would appreciate some feedback on this.

I live in SE PA and there are a number of older homes with slate roofs. Some
are well over 100 years old with original slate. In my area I think the
freeze thaw cycle of winter finally does them in after around 150 years. If
quality flashing is used on your roof it should outlast you and likely your
children.

Chas Hurst

that's reassuring - thanks