Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
tom tom is offline

Default Eucalyptus in Tucson

On Sep 5, 11:32 pm, "William Noble" wrote:
turn all at once setting, turn thin, really thin, and yes it will move on
the lathe -
boiling will help, but keeping it pretty wet and turning it to about 1/8 or
less will pretty much prevent splitting. just be prepared for some
distortion

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message

t...:tom wrote:

:
: If it is like the eucalyptus that grows around here, the tree grows
: twisted like a spiral. I looks great but on drying the stresses cause
: the wood to unwind and it tears itself apart. Beautiful wood but a
: bowl turns out looking like a potato chip if it doesn't split up in
: pieces.
:
: --
: Gerald Ross
: Cochran, GA
:

Yep, I've got a potato chip. But after 10 hours off the lathe, no
spliting as yet.... http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/ Thanks again
for the all the help. Tom