Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Karri (Eucalyptus Diversicolor)

Anyone worked with karri before? I'm milling up a bunch of it for a
staircase and it's the first exposure I've had to it. I was under the
impression that it was jarrah when I first was told about the job, but
I've since learned that it's a different species - slightly denser and
harder, and a little bit lighter in color. This particular wood is
reclaimed and has weathered to grey on the outside. Lots of surface
checking, but it's not too deep. The stock is 8/4 and the checks go in
about 1/4 or so on each side. Not a whole lot of bad end checking
either, typically a couple three inches at each end.

In any event, I'm going to be gluing up some treads and was wondering
what glue to use. I had planned to use Titebond II but I'm not tied to
it. It's just handy cuz that's what we keep in the glue spreader.
Also, is this stuff "toxic"? I've been wearing a mask and so far so
good. Just wondering though.

Thanks.
JP

Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
: Anyone worked with karri before? I'm milling up a bunch of it for a
: staircase and it's the first exposure I've had to it. I was under the
: impression that it was jarrah when I first was told about the job, but
: I've since learned that it's a different species - slightly denser and
: harder, and a little bit lighter in color. This particular wood is
: reclaimed and has weathered to grey on the outside. Lots of surface
: checking, but it's not too deep. The stock is 8/4 and the checks go in
: about 1/4 or so on each side. Not a whole lot of bad end checking
: either, typically a couple three inches at each end.

I think you're talking about kauri, not karri. Try a web search on the former.

It's apparently a really good turning wood, with nice figure. Some
kauri ("swamp kauri") is basically mined out of peat bogs, and
is very dark and mineralized.

-- Andy Bartss
Posted to rec.woodworking

Jay Pique wrote:
[...]

G'day Jay,
Sounds like Karri, a light coloured, close grained timber, as hard as
the hobs of hell. I've seen it used floor floors quite a bit.

I have never had problems using PVA glues with our hardwoods but you may
find this info interesting.

http://www.avsyntec.com.au/Adh/case3.htm

Regards
John
Posted to rec.woodworking

That "ancient Kauri" is 20,000 - 30,000 years old and costs WAY a lot.

At least the ancient stuff from "Ancientwood" is and does.

-Zz

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 02:00:34 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss
wrote:

Jay Pique wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
says...

I have never had problems using PVA glues with our hardwoods but you may
find this info interesting.

http://www.avsyntec.com.au/Adh/case3.htm

Regards
John

Heh, thanks for that link John, I feel vindicated in my opinion of epoxy now
that I have a test result to back it up. :-)

Agree on the pva, by the way, I built a 2-seater from pilularis and saligna
using Lamello bisquits and pva 6 years ago that's been used as a jungle Gym by
a couple of kids since - still holding up.

The Lamello bisquits are made from beech and are much stronger than those
crappy Bix ones i.m.o. - I only ever bought 1 box of Bix and ended up giving
them away ... some of them were as floppy as wet cardboard.

-Peter