Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default My Shop is almost (re)done

6 Days of cleaning and organizing, I finally got the new lathe to fit
in. Not well, but in. I built a tool holder for the lathe that mounts
on the table behind the lathe and high enough to reach all my tools. I
thenb moved the lathe near a wall and mounted the rest of the items I
have on some pegboard behind it.

After my wife asked a few questions about how I store stuff, I decided
to ask all of you this question.

How do you prefer to store your tools and accessories? Open racks
(pegboard like)? Cabinets? Tool Boxes?

I have found that I am not a big fan of cabinets, tool boxes or tool
bags. I like my tools out where I can see them and get to them
quick.Not through need, but I seem to use the right tool for the right
job more often and spend a little more time selecting the tool than I
do looking for it. So, I have a LOT of pegboard and just a few
cabinets, and my main cabinets are either open (no door) or have a
glass door. Yewsterday I spent about 2 hours figuring out where to
mount some of my Pinnacle and Starrett measuring tools and now I am
looking for an effective way to store some items like my Incra and
Veritas gauges, dovetail gauges, marking gauges, enginners squares and
one of those combination squares with 3 different level devices.

I do have some drawers that I built that are under some of my larger
tools, 3 drawers under my router tablke to hold router associated
tools, under my high speed grinder for nothing since it is usless,
under my carving table for carving wood storage, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On May 31, 8:06 am, Neillarson wrote:
[...]

I like to use a roll around tool chest. You can put the tools you will
need for that project on top and store your other chucks and tools
inside away from the shavings and other such stuff. I made a wooden
top to sit on the chest with a slanted board on the back to hold my
live centers, drive centers and a couple of my most used chucks. I use
wall cabinets for the same reason. Everthing I have hanging on the
wall collects lots of shavings and makes cleaning up a harder and
longer chore. Having seen a lot of other setups and tried many of them
myself this is what I find works best for me. Also I have a magnetic
strip hanging above my lathe that holds the chuck keys, allen wrenchs,
and bars for removing the chucks.