Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Jet 1442 Tailstock

Just a quick question. Yesterday, I was going to use the tailstock with a
forstner bit to hollow the center of a bowl. Found that I could not get the
handwheel to advance the quill. The tailstock quill lock handle is loose
and when I turn the handwheel, the whole quill turns but does not advance.
It appears that the screw mechanism on the interior is not connected
properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I called into jet service but it was near
the end of the day and there was no tech available until Monday morning. I
just had hoped to get some work done today.

--
Bob Daun

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Bob,

I'm not famaliar with the Jet, but the problem sounds similar to what
I've found with other lathes. Many of the lathes have a channel milled
in the tailstock quill that the locking screw engages to keep the
quill from rotating when the handwheel is turned. The locking screw
must be screwed in far enough to keep the quill from rotating, but not
so far as to impede the travel of the quill. This happens on my Nova
Mercury if I'm careless about backing off the locking screw.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

On Mar 31, 6:52 am, "Bob Daun" wrote:
Just a quick question. Yesterday, I was going to use the tailstock with a
forstner bit to hollow the center of a bowl. Found that I could not get the
handwheel to advance the quill. The tailstock quill lock handle is loose
and when I turn the handwheel, the whole quill turns but does not advance.
It appears that the screw mechanism on the interior is not connected
properly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I called into jet service but it was near
the end of the day and there was no tech available until Monday morning. I
just had hoped to get some work done today.

--
Bob Daun

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Fred
Thanks for the reply. That is about the same as what I have but I can turn
the locking screw back several turns (still in the channel) and the quill
will not move forward. The quill has some nice scales etched in to the top
and when it is working properly, the quill does not turn when you turn the
handwheel (assuming that the locking screw is sufficiently loose.
If I back the locking screw out far enough to clear the channel in the
quill, the whole quill turns when I turn the handwheel but it does not
advance.

"Fred Holder" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Just an update on my tailstock problem. I called Jet (WMH Tool Group in
Elgin, IL). Got ahold of a service tech and he had me try a few things none
of which worked. He said he would send a new quill mechanism out today. I
asked him how to return the old one and he said to just pitch it. Well,
that was this morning. This afternoon I removed the quill again and clamped
it firmly in my WW vise. I put a Vise Grips on the end of quill next to
where the handle would be and gave it a good rap with a hammer and the
dogone thing broke loose and now works perfectly. Evidently, there is a
little problem when you retract the quill all the way that something tends
to bind up. Anyway, now I will have a spare quill. Everyone should have a
spare quill, right?

. net...

Jet 1442 Dr. Deb Woodturning 2 June 6th 06 04:38 AM
Jet 1442 Dr. Deb Woodturning 3 February 17th 05 03:13 PM
Jet 1442 question Chris C Woodturning 3 January 20th 05 09:48 PM
Jet 1442 opinions Wood Turn It Dont Burn It Woodturning 6 November 18th 04 01:31 PM
Jet 1442 legs Andrew Barss Woodturning 3 November 16th 04 06:32 PM