Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default I need suggestions.....

Hey gang, I just bought a Oneway Curved toolrest. It has a 1" post
and it works great on my delta 16" lathe, but my Vicmarc VL300
shortbed has a 1-1/8" post. Any suggestions on how I can safely use
the new toorest on the Vic as well as the delta? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote: (clip) Any suggestions on how I can
safely use the new toorest on the Vic (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Sure! Just make a spacer sleeve out of a strip of 1/16" sheet metal. I
have done this. It doesn't hurt to leave a gap in the sleeve, which will
allow it to open and close
with the action of the clamping screw If you make the gap wider than the
diameter of your clamping screw, you can align it so that the screw presses
on the original post, and you won't ding up the metal sleeve with use.

If the metal is a tad thick, you will need to do some sanding on the outside
of the sleeve.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Mar 25, 12:47 am, "William Noble" wrote:
get a scrap of 1 inch EMT, turn to 1.125 wrote in message

What is EMT?

Thanks for the reply.

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Alex

Maybe it would have been easier to have had the toolrest shaft fit the
larger size, and have the smaller opening bored to size.

I wouldn't want to fool around with a 1/16" thick sleeve, I'd expect
problems with that.

Just buy another one for the Vicmarc, than you don't have to change
rests around :-)))

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 24, 8:21 pm, wrote:
Hey gang, I just bought a Oneway Curved toolrest. It has a 1" post
and it works great on my delta 16" lathe, but my Vicmarc VL300
shortbed has a 1-1/8" post. Any suggestions on how I can safely use
the new toorest on the Vic as well as the delta? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Alex -- many hardware stores have a drawer of bushing alongside the
nuts, bolts, woodruff keys, screen door fittings, etc. There may be a
1-1/8" OD x 1" ID. These are usually made of bronze. Split it
lengthwise with a hacksaw, slip it over your 1" post, and it ought to
take care of your problem. I'm using a couple of these things to
convert 5/8" mini lathe toolrests for use in a 3/4" banjo, and another
to convert 3/4" to 1".

Best--

Chuck Engstrom
Chestertown MD

On Mar 24, 7:21 pm, wrote:
Hey gang, I just bought a Oneway Curved toolrest. It has a 1" post
and it works great on my delta 16" lathe, but my Vicmarc VL300
shortbed has a 1-1/8" post. Any suggestions on how I can safely use
the new toorest on the Vic as well as the delta? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
(clip)would have been easier to have had the toolrest shaft fit the larger
size, and have the smaller opening bored to size.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Too late--he already bought it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I wouldn't want to fool around with a 1/16" thick sleeve, I'd expect
problems with that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
No problems. I use a 1/16" shim/adapter/sleeve. and it works fine.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just buy another one for the Vicmarc, than you don't have to change rests
around :-)))
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Most of us are willing to spend fairly large amounts for the convenience of
not having to change things around all the time. People buy extra chucks
just so they don't have to keep changing jaws. A curved toolrest from
One-way costs more than I would be willing to spend for that infrequent need
to use it on the other lathe. I assume that Alex feels the same way, opr he
would not have asked the question.

Drilling out the opening on the Delta would have solved the problem for the
curved toolrest, and created some "orphans" out of the toolrests that
previously fit.

I say, "Go with a 1/16" spacer sleeve. Costs nothing, and, if it doesn't
satisfy you, then look for a better solution."

Sorry, "Other Leo," but I really disagree with you here, which is unusual.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 24, 8:21 pm, wrote:
Hey gang, I just bought a Oneway Curved toolrest. It has a 1" post
and it works great on my delta 16" lathe, but my Vicmarc VL300
shortbed has a 1-1/8" post. Any suggestions on how I can safely use
the new toorest on the Vic as well as the delta? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Other Leo

Don't you be sorry to disagree, I know we do look at "things" very
often from the same angle, that doesn't mean we can't disagree.

Don't know if it is too late to exchange the toolrest for a larger
size one, and yes if he has more than just a simple toolrest with the
Delta they all be orphans

You say the 1/16" sleeve works fine, and I accept that, BUT, I
would have expected it to be hard to get out of the banjo if it fits
tight, and if not fit tight there would be play when interrupted
forces would push on the toolrest, also it could twist with the
toolrest while turning/resepositining it, and get under/inbetween the
bold and get flared or deformed.

Still (1.5 mm), thats thin, still doest sit well with me, but I have
been wrong before, I think ;-)))

Good to see you keep hanging out here, Leo

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 26, 12:11 pm, "Leo Lichtman"

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I appreciate all of the responses. Unfortunately, I don't believe the
toolrest comes in various diameters. As far as I can tell, it's just
1" diameter. It does come in multiple lengths though.

Thanks again.

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Alex

Yes you're right they do not come in all different sizes, just 3/4",
1" and 1.5".
Info on the bottom of the page
http://www.oneway.on.ca/lathes/toolrests.htm

Lee Valley has a modular toolrest system, it has more different sizes
and rests.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...330,49238&ap=1

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Mar 27, 10:24 pm, wrote:
I appreciate all of the responses. Unfortunately, I don't believe the
toolrest comes in various diameters. As far as I can tell, it's just
1" diameter. It does come in multiple lengths though.

Thanks again.

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I wouldn't want to fool around with a 1/16" thick sleeve, I'd expect
problems with that.

No problem. One of my lathes needed a sleeve for some of my toolrests.
I just cut a piece of brass shim stock and bent it to fit, leaving a slot
so the tightening bolt could bear against the shaft itself. It worked
fine. -mike

Suggestions please. Mark and Kim Smith Woodworking 8 April 14th 05 09:05 PM
Suggestions please. Mark and Kim Smith Home Repair 6 April 14th 05 09:02 PM
Suggestions Nasty Woodturning 6 January 9th 05 03:31 AM
Bench suggestions Kathy Woodworking 4 January 4th 05 03:24 PM
Suggestions......please John UK diy 4 October 28th 04 10:03 PM