Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Hey Fred Holder - congrats!

Fred:

Just saw your article in the international version of Woodturning.
Nicely done! I didn't know we had an internationally known author in
our midst!

I always wanted that little Vic as I had a friend that got one. At
the time he got his though, the castings were more than I paid for my
Jet mini, and his didn't come with a motor! He wound up getting a
motor from one of the surplus guys mentined here from time to time,
but with an extra pulley he was still in the $550 - $600 range many
years ago. To compare, I got my Jet mini when it first came out in
'97 -'98 for +/- $249 at Woodcraft.

Probably due to the competition it has now, but the Jet mini can be
had for less now than when it was introduced 10 years ago.

One day when I grow up, I would love to have a big Vic. One of the
guys in my club has a 300 series, and it is a monster. But it runs so
smooth I think you could turn a seam ripper on it.

Anyway, good work. Went you went down under did you bring back or
ship any kinds of good turning wood?

Robert

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hello Robert,

I've been writing for Woodturning magazine in the UK since about 1995
and for six years I wrote a monthly column while Mark Baker was
editor. After Colin Simpson took over, he didn't want a monthly
article "Letter from America", so I only wrote occassionally. My last
article for them was about our visit to the Vicmarc factory, where we
picked up our new VL100 evs lathe to use at the Down Under Turn Around
on Phillip Island near Melbourne in Australia. It took three months to
get the lathe home, but it now holds a place in the shop and is a
lovely little lathe.

I've had two books published by GMC Publications in the UK: "Making
Screw Threads in Wood" and "A Guide to Work-Holding on the Lathe."

I also wrote an article for the New Zealand magazine (it has gone
through several name changes, so I'm not sure what it is currently
called) for a couple of years.

Does that make me an international author? Also, "More Woodturning",
which I publish ten time a year, is distributed world wide.

My newest book, which should be available in June 2007 will be
published by Linden Publishing in California. It's title is: "The
Woodturners FAQ Book". It is aimed at beginning woodturners, but will
have a lot of information of interest to intermediate woodturners
also. It is basically a Question and Answer book. I hope to have
copies with me at The Utah Woodturning Symposium and at the AAW
Symposium in Portland this year. Maybe I'll see some of you people at
one of these events. I am demonstrating at the AAW Symposium this
year.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com