Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Ping Fred Holder - Plugs

Fred,
Lost the thread where you were asking about plugs. How about UHMW, the
slippery plastic used for fences and so on. I've only seen it in strips - I
have a couple for the facing on router fences - but it is available from
some of the plastic suppliers in other shapes. It's real easy to work and
sure is slippery on wood. Here's an example:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=909&step=2

LD
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

I'm familiar with the material. I don't want the plugs to slip out. I want them
to hold but also hold together. I also want to be able to cast them so that they
will exactly fit the hole. I made a mold today and hope to try casting some
epoxy plugs to try in the next day or two. If they work, I'll use them. If they
don't work, I'll try to get some of the machining wax that has been recommended.
Candle wax works pretty good, but sometimes the plugs will not come out without
breaking up.

I've had some good suggestions and hope some of them will work well. I can
always go back to using wood plugs.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article xa98g.13771$W83.1746@trnddc07, Lobby Dosser says...

Fred,
Lost the thread where you were asking about plugs. How about UHMW, the
slippery plastic used for fences and so on. I've only seen it in strips - I
have a couple for the facing on router fences - but it is available from
some of the plastic suppliers in other shapes. It's real easy to work and
sure is slippery on wood. Here's an example:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=909&step=2

LD

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill Noce

Fred:
Have you tried rubber bottle stoppers for medicine(sp) bottles from a
medical supply house or drug store? They have an assortment of sizes.
Bill Noce
Jefferson, Ohio

Fred Holder wrote:
I'm familiar with the material. I don't want the plugs to slip out. I want them
to hold but also hold together. I also want to be able to cast them so that they
will exactly fit the hole. I made a mold today and hope to try casting some
epoxy plugs to try in the next day or two. If they work, I'll use them. If they
don't work, I'll try to get some of the machining wax that has been recommended.
Candle wax works pretty good, but sometimes the plugs will not come out without
breaking up.

I've had some good suggestions and hope some of them will work well. I can
always go back to using wood plugs.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph E Lindberg

In article .com,
"Bill Noce" wrote:

Fred:
Have you tried rubber bottle stoppers for medicine(sp) bottles from a
medical supply house or drug store? They have an assortment of sizes.
Bill Noce
Jefferson, Ohio

If I understand how he wants to use the material, it can't stretch.
Which is what the stopper would do when the tool cuts across it. Same
with RTV, which is why I didn't suggest it.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Fred Holder

No, I haven't tried rubber bottle stoppers. They should work if the geometry was
correct. I'll keep them in mind.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

In article .com, Bill Noce

Fred Holder wrote:
I'm familiar with the material. I don't want the plugs to slip out. I want them
to hold but also hold together. I also want to be able to cast them so that they
will exactly fit the hole. I made a mold today and hope to try casting some
epoxy plugs to try in the next day or two. If they work, I'll use them. If they
don't work, I'll try to get some of the machining wax that has been recommended.
Candle wax works pretty good, but sometimes the plugs will not come out without
breaking up.

I've had some good suggestions and hope some of them will work well. I can
always go back to using wood plugs.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

PING Fred Holder thanks for comments Tom Nie Woodturning 14 April 28th 06 07:54 PM
Making or acquiring a 26mm end mill holder? DeepDiver Metalworking 12 October 24th 05 05:03 AM
Fred Dibnah (TV alert) Owain UK diy 0 March 4th 05 10:58 PM
For Trade - Shaper Keyway/Slotter Tool Holder Ron Leap Metalworking 0 February 3rd 04 09:14 AM