Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default question about speed control

I have a Record Power (DML24X/C) lathe and in order to change the
speeds I have to open up the motor casing and change the position of
the belt. Is there any way to change this so that the speed can be
adjusted from the outside.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Yes, replace the single phase motor with a Variable Frequency Drive and a
3-phase motor.

LOL! Actually, replace the single phase motor with a 3-phase motor controlled
by a VFD.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

i would check on switching motors from an A.C
which you have now, to a D.C (direct current)
you will need a voltage inverter to do this but will give you total
control without compromizing
power and i would think cheaper than a 3 motor phase and phase converter
ross

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I think that Record makes variable speed lathes. Perhaps you could
contact them re a VS add on for your model. Also I note that a "Speed
Genie" for variable speed is advertised in Woodturning magazine. E-mail
www.haydockconverters.co.uk

According to the size of your lathe and what you are turning, the cost
of converting to VS compared to the trouble of changing belts might not
be feasible.

I don't know your lathe's motor drive design, but is there a way that
you can vary the tightness of the belt to make a 'clutch' for varying
the spindle speed? Perhaps by a lever to vary the motor--spindle pulley
separation or by interposing an adjustable idler pulley.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"ASTONboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Record Power (DML24X/C) lathe and in order to change the
speeds I have to open up the motor casing and change the position of
the belt. Is there any way to change this so that the speed can be
adjusted from the outside.

Well, the money spender methods have been offered. I have a lathe with
pulleys, and find I _may_ change speeds once during a piece. Given that it
can take me an hour for a bowl, the belt change represents very little of
the total time. I spend more hunting down and changing grits of sandpaper.
I can live with it. For me it's 680, which provides good service for pieces
as small as finials or bowls as big as the 15.75 capacity over the bed.
Only you can decide whether it's a significant factor for you.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have a similar lathe sold under a different name. I replaced the
bolt on the drive cover with a magnetic catch. I also reduced the belt
tension. With these changes I found I could then change speeds in
about 10 seconds.
I recently bought a VS mini lathe and I find the VS's low speed is
not as low as my belt drive, and the power is much better on the belt
drive lathe.
Brad

On Feb 11, 9:08 am, "ASTONboy" wrote:
I have a Record Power (DML24X/C) lathe and in order to change the
speeds I have to open up the motor casing and change the position of
the belt. Is there any way to change this so that the speed can be
adjusted from the outside.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Brad" wrote: (clip) I recently bought a VS mini lathe and I find the VS's
low speed is not as low as my belt drive, and the power is much better on
the belt drive lathe.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you change to a variable speed motor, you would be well advised to keep
the the variable belt drive in place--you will have the best of both worlds.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 11 Feb 2007 06:08:19 -0800, "ASTONboy" wrote:

I have a Record Power (DML24X/C) lathe and in order to change the
speeds I have to open up the motor casing and change the position of
the belt. Is there any way to change this so that the speed can be
adjusted from the outside.

Three phase motors are usually less expensive per horsepower than single phase
or DC powered equivalents. In addition, some of the newer vfd's that utilize
the new generation of solid state power switching devices are also less
expensive as well. I think it is the more widespread use of three phase
commercially that creates more power control options being designed to compete
in that market due to it's size. A good selection of three phase motors I have
found is www.surpluscenter.com. There are a number of ebay sellers who sell
competitively priced, new electronic speed controllers for three phase, and
single phase ac, 'plus DC controllers as well, sometimes matched with an
appropriately sized motor.

Three phase power from the power company is Not a requirement to operate a vfd
three phase motor controller as vfd's are available that use single phase ac
input and provide three phase output to the motor.

Look for motors with a service factor ("SF" on the motor spec plate) that is
greater than 1.0, like 1.15, etc. This indicates how much the motor can
intermittently be driven beyond it's rated hp without risk of damage to the
motor. The higher the SF the longer and more reliable the unit should be
generally, usually weighing more due to more robust construction.

hope this helps someone out there...regards, Joe

PS: email me with any questions as I am sometimes not on the ng's on a regular
basis....check mail at least every couple of days though.