Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George George is offline

Default question about speed control

"ASTONboy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a Record Power (DML24X/C) lathe and in order to change the
speeds I have to open up the motor casing and change the position of
the belt. Is there any way to change this so that the speed can be
adjusted from the outside.

Well, the money spender methods have been offered. I have a lathe with
pulleys, and find I _may_ change speeds once during a piece. Given that it
can take me an hour for a bowl, the belt change represents very little of
the total time. I spend more hunting down and changing grits of sandpaper.
I can live with it. For me it's 680, which provides good service for pieces
as small as finials or bowls as big as the 15.75 capacity over the bed.
Only you can decide whether it's a significant factor for you.