Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default question about speed control

I think that Record makes variable speed lathes. Perhaps you could
contact them re a VS add on for your model. Also I note that a "Speed
Genie" for variable speed is advertised in Woodturning magazine. E-mail
www.haydockconverters.co.uk

According to the size of your lathe and what you are turning, the cost
of converting to VS compared to the trouble of changing belts might not
be feasible.

I don't know your lathe's motor drive design, but is there a way that
you can vary the tightness of the belt to make a 'clutch' for varying
the spindle speed? Perhaps by a lever to vary the motor--spindle pulley
separation or by interposing an adjustable idler pulley.

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter