Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Chuck Properties

I have a OneWay Stronghold chuck that I use for bowl turning. I also have
the OneWay Jumbo Jaws. I have been doing a lot of smaller bowls lately and
find the Jumbo Jaws very handy for finishing the bottom. Consequently, I
spend a lot of time switching back and forth between the jumbo jaws and the
regular jaws. Does anyone know if any of the less expensive chucks will
directly take the OneWay jumbo jaws so that I wouldn't have to do quite as
much jaw manipulation?

--
Bob Daun

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Bob

I have the Oneway Stronghold, but also have a couple of Oneway Talon
chucks, you could use a Talon for doing the smaller bowls, than switch
chucks for the Jumbo Jaws, or buy a Stronghold body only.
Turners often do batches of bowls etc. so they don't have to switch so
often.
And yes I know what you're saying that's why most production turners
also have several chucks, I would not start mixing different makes of
chucks, and run into all kinds of incompatibilities, like screw heads,
length, size, and other things not thought of.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Jan 30, 11:07 am, "Bob Daun" wrote:
I have a OneWay Stronghold chuck that I use for bowl turning. I also have
the OneWay Jumbo Jaws. I have been doing a lot of smaller bowls lately and
find the Jumbo Jaws very handy for finishing the bottom. Consequently, I
spend a lot of time switching back and forth between the jumbo jaws and the
regular jaws. Does anyone know if any of the less expensive chucks will
directly take the OneWay jumbo jaws so that I wouldn't have to do quite as
much jaw manipulation?

--
Bob Daun

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bob Daun" writes:

I have a OneWay Stronghold chuck that I use for bowl turning. I also have
the OneWay Jumbo Jaws. I have been doing a lot of smaller bowls lately and
find the Jumbo Jaws very handy for finishing the bottom. Consequently, I
spend a lot of time switching back and forth between the jumbo jaws and the
regular jaws. Does anyone know if any of the less expensive chucks will
directly take the OneWay jumbo jaws so that I wouldn't have to do quite as
much jaw manipulation?

This isn't what you asked, but the Nova allows you to put the 50MM
jaws on top of the Cole jaws.
You can also use a screw point with certain jaws.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Jan 30, 11:07 am, "Bob Daun" wrote:
I have a OneWay Stronghold chuck that I use for bowl turning. I also have
the OneWay Jumbo Jaws. I have been doing a lot of smaller bowls lately and
find the Jumbo Jaws very handy for finishing the bottom. Consequently, I
spend a lot of time switching back and forth between the jumbo jaws and the
regular jaws. Does anyone know if any of the less expensive chucks will
directly take the OneWay jumbo jaws so that I wouldn't have to do quite as
much jaw manipulation?

--
Bob Daun

Bob, up here in Canada King tools market a cheap chuck. They make 2
versions, an O and a T. Oneway and Technatool. I purchased an O
version locally for $114 and it takes all my Oneway and Talon jaws
including Jumbo. I think the Grizzly company is the same in the States.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

This isn't what you asked, but the Nova allows you to put the 50MM
jaws on top of the Cole jaws.
You can also use a screw point with certain jaws.

So that is what the extra long screws are for (that were included with
the Cole jaws). I did not know that, thanks for the tip Bruce!

Rick

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Bob Daun" wrote:

I have a OneWay Stronghold chuck that I use for bowl turning. I also have
the OneWay Jumbo Jaws. I have been doing a lot of smaller bowls lately and
find the Jumbo Jaws very handy for finishing the bottom. Consequently, I
spend a lot of time switching back and forth between the jumbo jaws and the
regular jaws. Does anyone know if any of the less expensive chucks will
directly take the OneWay jumbo jaws so that I wouldn't have to do quite as
much jaw manipulation?

Ever hear of the Longworth? It's a home brew chuck that works rather
well, I like the 6 pin version the best. Do a web search and I think you
might be interested

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cad cad is offline

For what its worth, I studied the data for the top two, Nova and
Oneway. Both seemed very comparable in every respect.

The one thing I would suggest is pick one, buy a range of jaw sizes,
and you will be equiped for the most part, forever.

What I looked for was the range of jaw sizes and another overlooked
aspect, is how the jaws are opened/closed. I wanted a chuck that
operated with a T wrench so I could open and close the chuck with one
hand and hold my work with the other.

Nova satisfied all my criteria and I am very happy I put the money
into it that I did almost 2 yrs ago.

cad
handturnedbowls.biz