Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Questions about cedar properties

I'm salvaging some cedar from the windows I replaced last year. This
stuff has been exposed to the elements (under a flaking coat of paint) for
over thirty years, yet when I cut into it it looks to be in better condition
than most of the other species in my shop. Amazing!

I've heard that cedar needs grow for at least 15 years old before it
starts to have its preservative properties. The wood I have has done well,
but there's a limited supply. It's done so well that I'm certainly anxious
to build my next outdoor projects out of cedar. But I have a limited supply
so do I need to take extra care when buying new, to make sure it's old
enough?

I've been slicing off 1/2" strips to glue up for a wall mount mailbox I
want to build. The quantity of dust that fills the air is like no other
wood I've cut. Is this normal?

My mailbox will be six or seven inches up and down, and I want the two
ends to also extend below the bottom to serve as hooks for a newspaper. If
I glue up the front and back faces so the strips are horizontal I'll be in a
cross grain situation. Will that be a problem over seven inches? I'm in
Ottawa where all seasons can be a bit harsh. If so, what kind of solution
would you suggest? Also, what kind of glue should I use?

Thanks.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, Eastern White Cedar is amazing stuff. I have used epoxy on outdoor
cedar projects with excellent results. I leave the wood unfinished and give
it a clorox, water, detergent scrub in the Spring. It looks like new! You
may want to be careful around that dust though.....I have developed an
asthmatic reaction to EWS dust.
Dave

Posted to rec.woodworking

Yes, Eastern White Cedar is amazing stuff. I have used epoxy on outdoor
cedar projects with excellent results. I leave the wood unfinished and
give it a clorox, water, detergent scrub in the Spring. It looks like
new! You may want to be careful around that dust though.....I have
developed an asthmatic reaction to EWS dust.
Dave

I have some 5 minute epoxy. Would that work, or would you recommend the 24
hour kind? I'm trying to picture myself doing the glue-up with the 5 minute
stuff and I can't see it going well. I have six edges about 3' long to
glue. Times 2.

I'll be asking a friend to run my glued panels through his thickness plane.
Epoxy wouldn't be hard on the blades, would it?

I just found this:
http://www.titebond.com/IntroPageTB....tIntroTB. asp.
Looks like Titebond II would be a good choice. Of course I don't actually
have any, but that can be changed.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Owen Lawrence wrote:

I have some 5 minute epoxy. Would that work, or would you

recommend the 24
hour kind?

IMHO, 5 minute epoxy is strictly for emergency repairs.

Use the good stuff, be patient, and enjoy the results.

Lew
Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Owen Lawrence wrote:

I have some 5 minute epoxy. Would that work, or would you

recommend the 24
hour kind?

IMHO, 5 minute epoxy is strictly for emergency repairs.

Use the good stuff, be patient, and enjoy the results.

Lew

FWIW: I often use a 30 Minute epoxy where I need more time, or more
strength than the 5 Minute stuff. I get the 30 Minute from the local
hobby shop, or on line thru Tower Hobbies. There is a rumor that the
longer setting epoxy soaks into the wood more for greater strength.
Seams reasonable to me.

Hope this helps.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Owen Lawrence wrote:

I have some 5 minute epoxy. Would that work, or would you

recommend the 24
hour kind?

IMHO, 5 minute epoxy is strictly for emergency repairs.

Use the good stuff, be patient, and enjoy the results.

Lew

FWIW: I often use a 30 Minute epoxy where I need more time, or more
strength than the 5 Minute stuff. I get the 30 Minute from the local
hobby shop, or on line thru Tower Hobbies. There is a rumor that the
longer setting epoxy soaks into the wood more for greater strength.
Seams reasonable to me.

Hope this helps.

It does. Thanks to all who replied.

I settled on Titebond III which required a bonus trip to Lee Valley Tools
since I couldn't find any at Canadian Tire or Home Depot. Some day I'll
definitely try the longer setting epoxy, though. I have plenty of other
projects in mind that could benefit from it.

- Owen -

Posted to rec.woodworking

Owen Lawrence wrote:

Some day I'll
definitely try the longer setting epoxy, though. I have plenty of other
projects in mind that could benefit from it.

Do a Google for WestSystems which will allow you to find a stocking
distributor in your area.

Lew