Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Spiral Forstner bits

Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my
bowl blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner
bits have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could
buy just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits
and so far haven't justified that much just to try something different.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An authority is anyone who guessed
right more than once.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Gerald,

Individual carbide bits are sold - Freud makes some as does the Woodworking
Supply Co in Wyoming. I have been using Freud bits for years now.

George

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my bowl
blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner bits
have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could buy
just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits and so
far haven't justified that much just to try something different.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An authority is anyone who guessed
right more than once.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

George Saridakis wrote:
[...]

I found Freud carbide forstner bits, but no spiral type. The ones I am
talking about
are these:
http://www.amazon.com/Carbide-tipped.../dp/B000K9YRUK

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An authority is anyone who guessed
right more than once.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Take a look at the Irwin SpeedBor bits. They have a lead screw but you can
probably shorten it or adapt to using it.

Stuart Johnson
Red Oak, Texas

In article , Gerald Ross
wrote:
Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my
bowl blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner
bits have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could
buy just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits
and so far haven't justified that much just to try something different.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:
Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my
bowl blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner
bits have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could
buy just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits
and so far haven't justified that much just to try something different.

Looks good to me. The size jumps from 1" to 1 1/4 but I think I can work
around that.

Thanks!

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An evil mind is a constant solace.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Gerald

I know you said you are using 1 1/4" D bit, and I don't know if you are
able to use a 1" D bit, but if so, than the short auger bits with brad
point end that Lee Valley sells might be just what you are looking for,
they also have special green wood drill bits, but again the largest
size is 1 Inch, here is a link to the short auger bits

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Gerald Ross wrote:
Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my
bowl blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner
bits have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could
buy just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits
and so far haven't justified that much just to try something different.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An authority is anyone who guessed
right more than once.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross wrote:
Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my
bowl blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner
bits have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could
buy just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits
and so far haven't justified that much just to try something different.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An authority is anyone who guessed
right more than once.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed those. Actually I'm using 1 1/8 now, but will
try to see if I can use a 1" hole for that chuck.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An evil mind is a constant solace.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
om...

Thanks, I hadn't noticed those. Actually I'm using 1 1/8 now, but will try
to see if I can use a 1" hole for that chuck.

Or drop about 70 bucks with bestwoodtools.com and get a regular pin chuck.
They make a unidirectional that's a pleasure to use.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On 18 Jan 2007 19:54:38 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi Gerald

I know you said you are using 1 1/4" D bit, and I don't know if you are
able to use a 1" D bit, but if so, than the short auger bits with brad
point end that Lee Valley sells might be just what you are looking for,
they also have special green wood drill bits, but again the largest
size is 1 Inch, here is a link to the short auger bits

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

If a 1" will work, there is also a guy on e-bay that must have robbed
a DeWalt truck. I bought two sets of spade bits for $.60, and he had
about 100 auctions going. They're awfully nice- much thicker shanks
and spades than the Irwins. Might be worth taking a look to see if
there are still any for sale. The only catch was that shipping was
$9, but it was still far less than retail for 10 good bits.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

If I may put my two cent's worth in green wood when working on my lathe I
use the individual Imperial saw tooth bit made with HSS.
See http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240.
They come in a varietals of sizes. You can get them with HSS and with
Carbon steel. I have used them both type of steel and the best performance
is with the HSS.

oups.com...

Gerald Ross wrote:
Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my
bowl blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner
bits have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could
buy just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits
and so far haven't justified that much just to try something different.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An authority is anyone who guessed
right more than once.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross wrote:
Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my
bowl blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner
bits have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could
buy just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits
and so far haven't justified that much just to try something different.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An authority is anyone who guessed
right more than once.

I also use a saw-tooth bit, but as I stated, to make a hole 3 or 4 times
the depth of the bit, it has to be pulled back several times to clear
the shavings or it is apt to jam, especially in green wood. That was the
reason for the inquiry as to whether anyone had experience with the
longer spiral forstner bits, which no one has apparently tried.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An evil mind is a constant solace.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Gerald Ross wrote:
[...]

I agreed with your observations. The bit has to be pulled back several
time to clear the hole.

I have also tried the Brad point drill see
http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/pictu...8&NTITEM=B1930
The latter did not work as good as the saw-tooth bit.
I have look at the spiral forstner bit
http://www.amazon.com/Carbide-tipped.../dp/B000K9YRUK.
The spiral concept is interesting, I am willing to give it a try if I can
find some made with HSS or even carbon steel at a lower price.

Denis Marier
Rothesay, NB

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
CW CW is offline

Those aren't Forstner bits, they are large brad point.

"Gerald Ross" wrote in message
. com...
George Saridakis wrote:
[...]

http://www.amazon.com/Carbide-tipped...den/dp/B000K9Y
RUK

Forstner Bits P.Thorsted Woodworking 6 October 19th 06 06:19 AM
Forstner bits. Robatoy Woodworking 22 October 12th 06 01:55 PM
What's up with LV forstner bits? [email protected] Woodworking 23 November 26th 05 09:14 PM
Forstner bits Roy Woodworking 4 September 26th 04 08:48 PM
Forstner bits... Ted Woodturning 10 December 13th 03 02:07 PM