Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Gerald Ross Gerald Ross is offline

Default Spiral Forstner bits

wrote:
If I may put my two cent's worth in green wood when working on my lathe I
use the individual Imperial saw tooth bit made with HSS.
See
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240.
They come in a varietals of sizes. You can get them with HSS and with
Carbon steel. I have used them both type of steel and the best performance
is with the HSS.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi Gerald

I know you said you are using 1 1/4" D bit, and I don't know if you are
able to use a 1" D bit, but if so, than the short auger bits with brad
point end that Lee Valley sells might be just what you are looking for,
they also have special green wood drill bits, but again the largest
size is 1 Inch, here is a link to the short auger bits

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...at=1,180,42240

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Gerald Ross wrote:
Has anyone used the spiral forstner bits? I drill a 1 1/8 hole in my
bowl blanks and use the small chuck to rough out the outside (with the
tailstock support). I drill about a 1 1/2 deep hole and the forstner
bits have to be pulled back several times to clear the chips. If I could
buy just one I would try it, but have only seen them in sets of 7 bits
and so far haven't justified that much just to try something different.
--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An authority is anyone who guessed
right more than once.

I also use a saw-tooth bit, but as I stated, to make a hole 3 or 4 times
the depth of the bit, it has to be pulled back several times to clear
the shavings or it is apt to jam, especially in green wood. That was the
reason for the inquiry as to whether anyone had experience with the
longer spiral forstner bits, which no one has apparently tried.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

An evil mind is a constant solace.