Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Just starting ... which lathe???

Have been woodworking for years, most seriously for the last 2. Am
about to jump into turning ... and have discovered that my (30 year
old) kids and some friend are also interested ( and will be using my
gear ... which I am happy to share.)

Am considering starting with a VicMarc VL100 MINI LATHE. Want
something quality and substantial that will offer years of service and
expansion potential.

Will be starting with smallish spindles, handles, small bowls and
pencil pots.

WiIl this machine handle it???

Your wisdom/help is appreciated.

-- Chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

PapaChuck wrote:

Have been woodworking for years, most seriously for the last 2. Am
about to jump into turning ... and have discovered that my (30 year
old) kids and some friend are also interested ( and will be using my
gear ... which I am happy to share.)

Am considering starting with a VicMarc VL100 MINI LATHE. Want
something quality and substantial that will offer years of service and
expansion potential.

Will be starting with smallish spindles, handles, small bowls and
pencil pots.

WiIl this machine handle it???

Your wisdom/help is appreciated.

-- Chuck

One bit of information you did not include is very important, "How much do
you want to spend?"

A Jet 1446 from Southern Tool (free shipping) is a good bet. When you move
up to the quality of the Vicmarc you are upping the ante quite a bit.

One bit of advice. But a full size lathe first. Oh, you will wind up
buying a mini, but buy the full size first. After you have it awhile you
will understand why.

Deb
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Chuck

The Vic Mark is a nice capable lathe, here's another one and it is
build right here in Canada, there's none better period.

http://www.oneway.on.ca/lathes/1224lathe.htm

If you would ever want to sell it, they do get nearly new prices for
them, people do really want them.

However there's the other end and not that bad for quality, The Jet
mini or Delta midi or Ricon mini, they are basically the same except
for color and door openings, switch placement.

And you could buy a few for the price of one top of the quality ladder
lathe, everyone turn at the same time together.

You will need more tools, chucks etc. though if you go this way, but
who's counting ;--)))).

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

PapaChuck wrote:
Have been woodworking for years, most seriously for the last 2. Am
about to jump into turning ... and have discovered that my (30 year
old) kids and some friend are also interested ( and will be using my
gear ... which I am happy to share.)

Am considering starting with a VicMarc VL100 MINI LATHE. Want
something quality and substantial that will offer years of service and
expansion potential.

Will be starting with smallish spindles, handles, small bowls and
pencil pots.

WiIl this machine handle it???

Your wisdom/help is appreciated.

-- Chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

When my wife and I were in Australia this last September, we visited
the Vicmarc factory and paid for the Vicmarc VL-100 evs machine we had
ordered earlier in the year. We carried it around Australia with us and
used it at the Down Under Turn Around on Phillip Island, near
Melbourne. It is a great machine and performs very well. It finally
arrived home after a long circuit first to Craft Supplies USA and then
to our home. It is a 220 volt machine, and performs very well. As long
and you are willing to settle for things under 10 inches in diameter
and about 12 or 14 inches in length, this lathe will do all you'll want
and it is one quality made machine.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com

PapaChuck wrote:
Have been woodworking for years, most seriously for the last 2. Am
about to jump into turning ... and have discovered that my (30 year
old) kids and some friend are also interested ( and will be using my
gear ... which I am happy to share.)

Am considering starting with a VicMarc VL100 MINI LATHE. Want
something quality and substantial that will offer years of service and
expansion potential.

Will be starting with smallish spindles, handles, small bowls and
pencil pots.

WiIl this machine handle it???

Your wisdom/help is appreciated.

-- Chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote:

The Vic Mark is a nice capable lathe, here's another one and it is
build right here in Canada, there's none better period.

http://www.oneway.on.ca/lathes/1224lathe.htm

If you would ever want to sell it, they do get nearly new prices for
them, people do really want them.

Thanks for all the info.

I am willing to spend the money (SWMBO says OK and am saving allowance)
.... if I get the quality and flexibility.

How much would I "lose" by going to a JET - JWL-1642EVS: 16'' x 42''???
Powermatic 3520B - 20"???

I am also concerned about "ease of use" as I (grampa) will be training
several rookies on it's use. I understand the tradeoff between
flexibility and ease of use ... would err on side of ease if pushed.

Any thoughts on initial outfitting??

1. Chuck(s)?? (Oneway Scroll Chuck?)
2. Turning tools??
(http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com...oducts_id/3467
???)
3. Lathe chuck?
4. Live centers??

Thanks again!!

-- Chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Larry Blanchard wrote:

There's also the new Nova 1624.

Checked it out ... intriguing. Quality???

-- Chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

CM wrote:
The Vicmarc is best in its class. I would consider the oneway another step
up.

Am considering. Thanks!!

-- Chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"PapaChuck" wrote in message
ups.com...

Larry Blanchard wrote:

There's also the new Nova 1624.

Checked it out ... intriguing. Quality???

Unknown. Design proven, manufacture new. It's now a question of QC. I've
got the old Kiwi version.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Hi Chuck

If you like to compare, than going from a mini to a 16" or 20" lathe
you are really in another ballpark so to speak, and the prices and
abilities are also way out of comparison with a mini.

But yes the electronic VS Jet is to all I have heard of, a good lathe
for the money, the powermatic on the other hand has been plagued with a
continuing number of problems, both have movable headstocks, something
I would say invites problems like non alignment and vibration, MO, but
some turners think the world of them apparently.

As for initial outfitting, well it depends of course of what you intend
to pursue of course, is is going to be initially spindle turning, like
pens, candle sticks, mushrooms etc., than a drive center live tail
stock center and a few tools like rouging gouge and spindle gouge, skew
and cutoff tool would be about all you need to get started.

For bowls platters and vases, you'd need a faceplate, live center and
bowl gouge, scraper and a 4 jaw lathe chuck would be handy to have, for
bigger and deeper bowls/vases a steady rest would also be nice to have,
than power sanding tools most likely, and maybe polishing items also.

If you would like to make some hollow forms I would recommend a
captured hollowing system, at least if the items are going to be larger
than ornaments.

You will need a sharpening setup, like a 8" grinder with a wolverine
grinding jig or similar.

However the most important item would be a membership to a wood turners
club and or lessons from a good turner.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum30.html

PapaChuck wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

PapaChuck wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:

There's also the new Nova 1624.

Checked it out ... intriguing. Quality???

-- Chuck

Don't know. I've got the old Nova Comet midi-lathe with a gap bed and it
was/is certainly solid. But the motor mount was so poor I made my own and
the headstock pulley has recently developed a habit of coming loose. I think
I fixed that with a little Loctite - time will tell. I'm still pretty happy
with the lathe, though a swiveling head would be nice.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Larry
i do not have that lathe but I assume the pulley is held in place with a set
screw. If the screw is loostening due to vibration, a common problem,
tighten it down firmly and then use another set screw on top of it. This
works like a nut holding another nut secure.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
PapaChuck wrote:

Larry Blanchard wrote:

There's also the new Nova 1624.

Checked it out ... intriguing. Quality???

-- Chuck

Don't know. I've got the old Nova Comet midi-lathe with a gap bed and it
was/is certainly solid. But the motor mount was so poor I made my own and
the headstock pulley has recently developed a habit of coming loose. I
think
I fixed that with a little Loctite - time will tell. I'm still pretty
happy
with the lathe, though a swiveling head would be nice.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

One bit of advice. But a full size lathe first. Oh, you will wind up
buying a mini, but buy the full size first. After you have it awhile you
will understand why.

I am currently heading toward the Oneway 1224 ... it seems to have many
large-lathe features with a smaller footprint. And it has the
bed-extension capability.

What am I missing??

-- Chuck

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

PapaChuck wrote:
One bit of advice. But a full size lathe first. Oh, you will wind up
buying a mini, but buy the full size first. After you have it awhile you
will understand why.

I am currently heading toward the Oneway 1224 ... it seems to have many
large-lathe features with a smaller footprint. And it has the
bed-extension capability.

What am I missing??

-- Chuck

FWIW, the Jet has an extension available too. I have just the lathe,
and a full sized one (different mfgr) and am most pleased with the Jet
mini. I use it a lot more than the full sized one. Its an excellent
piece of machinery!
John
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

Larry
i do not have that lathe but I assume the pulley is held in place with a set
screw. If the screw is loostening due to vibration, a common problem,
tighten it down firmly and then use another set screw on top of it. This
works like a nut holding another nut secure.

Thanks, Darrell. So far, the Loctite is holding, but if it fails I'll try the
double setscrew. One of the quirks is that the holes for the indexing pin
are in the back of the pulley set, so its position on the shaft is pretty
critical. The double setscrew would let me adjust that a little easier than
the Loctite.

BTW, it has 2 setscrews - 180 degrees apart.

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Larry
180* ? Usually if there are 2 set screws they are 90* apart. It allows a
lock with two different directions of pressure. I am not sure ofthe benefit
but this is just observation on my part anyhow.

--

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

Larry
i do not have that lathe but I assume the pulley is held in place with a
set
screw. If the screw is loostening due to vibration, a common problem,
tighten it down firmly and then use another set screw on top of it. This
works like a nut holding another nut secure.

Thanks, Darrell. So far, the Loctite is holding, but if it fails I'll try
the
double setscrew. One of the quirks is that the holes for the indexing pin
are in the back of the pulley set, so its position on the shaft is pretty
critical. The double setscrew would let me adjust that a little easier
than
the Loctite.

BTW, it has 2 setscrews - 180 degrees apart.

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

180* ? Usually if there are 2 set screws they are 90* apart. It allows a
lock with two different directions of pressure. I am not sure ofthe benefit
but this is just observation on my part anyhow.

Well, I've been known to have a faulty memory :-). I'll check when the
temperature gets out of the single digits so I can afford to heat the
shop :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have been known to have a foulty whatzit too :-)
No sweat as to where the set screws are, at least not enough to go out in
the cold. It is about -10C here and my daughter in Edmonton tells me I am
warm. What is 30 below C if not cold, cold, cold?

--

Darrell Feltmate wrote:

180* ? Usually if there are 2 set screws they are 90* apart. It allows a
lock with two different directions of pressure. I am not sure ofthe
benefit
but this is just observation on my part anyhow.

Well, I've been known to have a faulty memory :-). I'll check when the
temperature gets out of the single digits so I can afford to heat the
shop :-).

--
It's turtles, all the way down

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
bf bf is offline

PapaChuck wrote:
Am considering starting with a VicMarc VL100 MINI LATHE. Want
something quality and substantial that will offer years of service and
expansion potential.

In my opinion, do not start off with a mini lathe. I know that's the
common advice, start
with a mini lathe and then sell it to buy a bigger one if you like
turning.

But, have you noticed that no one tells you to start off with a 9"
bandsaw or a tabletop tablesaw to
see if you like it?

To me, it makes no sense to buy a mini lathe if you can afford one of
the entry level full sized ones.
I haven't checked prices for awhile, but I think the minis are around
$300.. I bought a full sized delta
one for around $500.. Keep in mind that the full sized one can do
everything a mini can do (except be portable).
Keep in mind that the used minis that I've seen don't seem to have that
great of resale value.

If you like woodworking, you'll like turning.. No sense in buying a
mini lathe to see if you like turning.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
cm cm is offline

bf,

9" bandsaws are junk. Jet, Delta, General, Vicmarc, and Oneway midi lathes
are very good tools. . Many people keep their midis when they buy a larger
lathes. I have sold three midi lathes for close to retail value. Midi lathes
take up less room in a small shop.

cm

"bf" wrote in message
ups.com...

PapaChuck wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have to agree, I bought a jet mini and turned some pretty nice small
bowls. Now the wife wants bigger bowls and I'm wishing I would have went
bigger from the start. Jeff

"bf" wrote in message
ups.com...

PapaChuck wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Take a look at the robust lathe:
http://www.turnrobust.com/
The only problem with the oneway lathe is getting the shavings out from
under the bed. The robust lathe seems everybit as good for a little
less money and the shavings fall straight down to the floor. The way
the speed control is setup on the oneway though is a lot better then
the robust.

Regards
Paul Geving

PapaChuck wrote:
Have been woodworking for years, most seriously for the last 2. Am
about to jump into turning ... and have discovered that my (30 year
old) kids and some friend are also interested ( and will be using my
gear ... which I am happy to share.)

Am considering starting with a VicMarc VL100 MINI LATHE. Want
something quality and substantial that will offer years of service and
expansion potential.

Will be starting with smallish spindles, handles, small bowls and
pencil pots.

WiIl this machine handle it???

Your wisdom/help is appreciated.

-- Chuck

WANTED/WTB: Lathe headstock, CNC lathe, small lathe, ... [email protected] Metalworking 4 May 27th 06 04:18 PM
CB500 not starting Matt UK diy 17 January 17th 06 01:42 AM
Starting Over Joatman71 Metalworking 2 July 25th 05 10:17 PM
Starting out... David C. Stone Woodturning 18 June 20th 05 12:19 AM
Just starting need info or help ScottnDess Woodworking 8 July 22nd 03 06:50 AM