Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default dust collection on lathe

My original shop went under 7' of salt water in New Orleans last year during
Katrina. I am now setting up a new one on high ground in Dallas, TX.

I have a 20" Powermatic and a Orinda 2 HP Dust Gorilla. I am presently
running the duct work. What kind of shop made collection device should I
use and where should it be located?

For those of you who answered my post about wood face plates - many thanks.
I finally resorted to the telephone and found that the search string had to
be:
1-1/4-8, not 1.25 x 8 tpi or some variation on this theme.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article ,
"Paul Gilbert" wrote:

My original shop went under 7' of salt water in New Orleans last year during
Katrina. I am now setting up a new one on high ground in Dallas, TX.

I have a 20" Powermatic and a Orinda 2 HP Dust Gorilla. I am presently
running the duct work. What kind of shop made collection device should I
use and where should it be located?

I have http://www.pennstateind.com/store/dlgulp.html at my lathe, but
that is -NOT- enough. I also wear a full-face sheild/dust mast (Trend),
when I was roughing (NOT sanding) a Pauduk bowl, the pre-filter looked
like this http://home.wavecable.com/~n7bsn/Photo/filter.jpg . I also use
a whole shop air-filter (that hangs from the ceiling)

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Paul Gilbert wrote:

I have a 20" Powermatic and a Orinda 2 HP Dust Gorilla. I am presently
running the duct work. What kind of shop made collection device should I
use and where should it be located?

Paul, I've been using a shop-built whole-shop air cleaner for a little
over 9 months. I replaced the filters last week at a cost of about $60.
In those 9 months, I've only needed to vacuum the shop shelves once. The
floor gets it 4-5 times a week ... sometimes 2-3 times in the day.
Obviously the shop does not stand idle long.

I had some dunnage plywood that was 40x40. I used that for the front and
rear of a plenum box. This box houses a furnace fan feeding off (2) 800
Sq inch filter stacks (20 x 20 filters taped edgewise for a 40 x 20
assembly). Each stack consists of a regular household filter followed by
a 5 micron filter followed by a .3 micron filter. The sides of the box
are open with braces to keep the filters from being sucked in. The
filters are held in place by the suction generated. The fan output
generates quite a breeze along the floor. I would guesstimate that my
shop air is being filtered roughly 3-4 times a minute. Big dust drops
where it is made, the fine stuff heads back along the sidewalls toward
the intake filters on the air cleaner. The bags for the DC are in the
return stream and closer to the air cleaner than I am.

Modify this general scheme to suit the available material and I think
you'll find that you have more than adequate ambient air filtration.

Ralph made a good point ... don't rely on a single method to provide
safe air. Use a respirator, point of origin dust / chip collection and a
good sized ambient air filter. Above all else ... wear that respirator
and test the seal.

Bill

--
Preach the gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.
St Francis of Assisi

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0701-0, 01/03/2007
Tested on: 1/3/2007 8:10:45 PM

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I'm not sure what you are asking here. Oneida will help you determine
what you need as far as duct work. As for collection at the lathe,
there are several options. Oneway has a sanding hood that will work
well for bowl sanding. I never checked the price, but it looks very
slick so is probably very expensive. I made one by using a food grade
50 gallon barrel half that was cut out to leave the front and tailstock
end open. It mounts on a wood bracket that is bolted on where the
safety shield goes. With a bit of clear plastic on the tailstock end, I
can sand black walnut all day long without a dust mask, and when I blow
my nose, it is the normal color. I plan to make a bigger hood. You can
get 4 x 8 sheet stock of plastic in 1/4 inch and less thickness. I will
make one that can be left up all the time rather than when I have to
sand. There are other hoods that are available, or at least bungee cord
the hose in place close to the work. It will get almost all of the dust
if you are sanding spindles or small things. More dust will escape when
using power sanders on bigger bowls.
robo hippy
Bill in Detroit wrote:
Paul Gilbert wrote:

[...]

Dust collection with a lathe? Toller Woodworking 16 November 16th 05 05:57 PM
Best TS for dust collection Matthew Woodworking 13 December 20th 04 03:36 AM
Dust Collection Bob Davis Woodworking 13 January 3rd 04 10:38 PM
Dust collection Kelly ODonald Woodworking 3 November 5th 03 03:36 PM