Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Bill in Detroit Bill in Detroit is offline

Default dust collection on lathe

Paul Gilbert wrote:

I have a 20" Powermatic and a Orinda 2 HP Dust Gorilla. I am presently
running the duct work. What kind of shop made collection device should I
use and where should it be located?

Paul, I've been using a shop-built whole-shop air cleaner for a little
over 9 months. I replaced the filters last week at a cost of about $60.
In those 9 months, I've only needed to vacuum the shop shelves once. The
floor gets it 4-5 times a week ... sometimes 2-3 times in the day.
Obviously the shop does not stand idle long.

I had some dunnage plywood that was 40x40. I used that for the front and
rear of a plenum box. This box houses a furnace fan feeding off (2) 800
Sq inch filter stacks (20 x 20 filters taped edgewise for a 40 x 20
assembly). Each stack consists of a regular household filter followed by
a 5 micron filter followed by a .3 micron filter. The sides of the box
are open with braces to keep the filters from being sucked in. The
filters are held in place by the suction generated. The fan output
generates quite a breeze along the floor. I would guesstimate that my
shop air is being filtered roughly 3-4 times a minute. Big dust drops
where it is made, the fine stuff heads back along the sidewalls toward
the intake filters on the air cleaner. The bags for the DC are in the
return stream and closer to the air cleaner than I am.

Modify this general scheme to suit the available material and I think
you'll find that you have more than adequate ambient air filtration.

Ralph made a good point ... don't rely on a single method to provide
safe air. Use a respirator, point of origin dust / chip collection and a
good sized ambient air filter. Above all else ... wear that respirator
and test the seal.

Bill

--
Preach the gospel at all times. Use words if necessary.
St Francis of Assisi

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0701-0, 01/03/2007
Tested on: 1/3/2007 8:10:45 PM