Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Help please for lathe part

Hi Everyone,

In a fit of stupidity I dropped the tailstock of my 9" craftsman lathe and broke the handwheel. From the research I have been able to do, it appears to be this 1935-36 model. The only difference is mine says 9" next to the Craftsman logo.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a replacement wheel or have the specs so I can have one made. Additionally if anyone has a model number or something (there isn't one on the lathe).

Thanks,

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

"steve" wrote: (clip)I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a replacement wheel or have the specs so I can have one made. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I am guessing it is cast iron. It should be possible to braze it.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

steve wrote:
Hi Everyone,

In a fit of stupidity I dropped the tailstock of my 9" craftsman lathe and broke the handwheel. From the research I have been able to do, it appears to be this 1935-36 model. The only difference is mine says 9" next to the Craftsman logo.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a replacement wheel or have the specs so I can have one made. Additionally if anyone has a model number or something (there isn't one on the lathe).

Thanks,

Steve

Steve, you can buy these wheels separately from some stores. I have one
purchased from Busy Bee. It coat around $10 at the time. They come with
different size holes in the middle. I'm not familiar with your lathe
but perhaps that could be a way out.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article _Ikmh.649$Am5.512@trndny03,
"steve" wrote:

Hi Everyone,

In a fit of stupidity I dropped the tailstock of my 9" craftsman lathe and
broke the handwheel. From the research I have been able to do, it appears to
be this 1935-36 model. The only difference is mine says 9" next to the
Craftsman logo.

I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find a replacement wheel or
have the specs so I can have one made. Additionally if anyone has a model
number or something (there isn't one on the lathe).

Thanks,

Steve

If you are not familiar with Old Woodworking Machines web site, check
out:
http://www.owwm.org/viewforum.php?f=...110df0b023 66
9f
You may find someone there with a parts lathe or a spare wheel.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.