Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Alligator Saw or Sabre Saws

Does anyone have any experience of Dewalt DW390 275mm Alligator Saw or
BOSCH PROFESSIONAL 1600W TANDEM SAW GFZ 16-35AC. I have an electric
chain saw which does most of what I need to do for preparing wood for
turning but I thought that theses other saws might be safer and easier
to use for knocking corners off of bowl blanks etc. I do not have a
very big band saw or much room in the workshop (shed really workshop is
a bit grand) so I thought one of these saws might come in handy,however
I dont want to buy one and then find they dont work very well.

Remember after it has hit the wall behind you its on its way back
again.Chas.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

In article . com,
"Bowlauncher" wrote:

Does anyone have any experience of Dewalt DW390 275mm Alligator Saw or
BOSCH PROFESSIONAL 1600W TANDEM SAW GFZ 16-35AC. I have an electric
chain saw which does most of what I need to do for preparing wood for
turning but I thought that theses other saws might be safer and easier
to use for knocking corners off of bowl blanks etc. I do not have a
very big band saw or much room in the workshop (shed really workshop is
a bit grand) so I thought one of these saws might come in handy,however
I dont want to buy one and then find they dont work very well.

Remember after it has hit the wall behind you its on its way back
again.Chas.

Hmmmm. Are you in the UK? I did a quick google search on both saws you
mentioned and the URLs I looked at all seemed to be in the UK - perhaps
these saws aren't available in the US, so you you may have to wait for a
UKer to respond.

If you have an electric chain saw, then I don't see a lot of advantage
to this type of saw. It certainly looks intriguing for those of us who
don't want to go outside and fire up the gas chain saw though.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

I have such a saw and I have used it with a 12" blade for cutting limbs, it
would not be the first saw I'd use to blank a bowl. Those long blades are
flexible and difficult to control. A 12" electric chain saw would cut faster and
straighter. Dan

"Bowlauncher" wrote in message
ups.com...
Does anyone have any experience of Dewalt DW390 275mm Alligator Saw or
BOSCH PROFESSIONAL 1600W TANDEM SAW GFZ 16-35AC. I have an electric
chain saw which does most of what I need to do for preparing wood for
turning but I thought that theses other saws might be safer and easier
to use for knocking corners off of bowl blanks etc. I do not have a
very big band saw or much room in the workshop (shed really workshop is
a bit grand) so I thought one of these saws might come in handy,however
I dont want to buy one and then find they dont work very well.

Remember after it has hit the wall behind you its on its way back
again.Chas.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Owen Lowe wrote:
In article . com,
"Bowlauncher" wrote:

[...]

Hi Owen.
Yes I am in the UK just thought that this type of saw would be nicer to
use in the workshop than a chain saw and they do have dust extraction
connections which would make indoor use more pleasant.
Chas.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Dan Bollinger wrote:
[...]

Hi Dan
The saws I was looking at have a guide bar like a chain saw is yours
this type or is it just a blade like a jig saw.
Chas.