GTO69RA4

Default Are jig, sabre, and scroll saws the same?

"Sabre saw" is only used for this kind of tool, "jig saw" in the last few
decades is coming to be used this way but before was the stationary tool, and
"scroll saw" is used only for the stationary one. Not to be confusing with an
auto-scrolling jig/sabresaw.

Both of those blades are for a sabre/jig saw. Sometimes companies use different
names in weird ways. I'd guess the one with two holes is so older saws with a
different setscrew can use them.

The stationary tool blades are like coping saw blades.

GTO(John)

Hi, I have two items, and I am trying to determine what they are for.

Here is a pictu http://www.mallology.lunarpages.com/blades.html

One is a pack of 5 blades, called "Sabre Saw Blades". They are 2-3" long,
and have universal shanks. Each shank has two holes in it. One hole is
smaller than the other.

The other is a pack of 5 blades, called "Jigsaw Blades". They are almost 4"
long, have universal shanks, but with only one hole per shank.

Are jig, sabre, and scroll saws all the same? Are these blades above
interchangeable?

Thanks for any help!

Stephanie

Stephanie

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
"Sabre saw" is only used for this kind of tool, "jig saw" in the last few
decades is coming to be used this way but before was the stationary tool,

and
"scroll saw" is used only for the stationary one. Not to be confusing with

an
auto-scrolling jig/sabresaw.

Both of those blades are for a sabre/jig saw. Sometimes companies use

different
names in weird ways. I'd guess the one with two holes is so older saws

with a
different setscrew can use them.

thanks John for your quick reply! I had been wondering for the longest time
what the difference was, and now I know!

Do you or anyone else know off hand if metal or wood jigsaw/sabre saw blades
can cut plastic? Or is there a special blade?

S.

Andy Dingley

On Fri, 8 Aug 2003 00:27:15 -0400, "Stephanie"
wrote:

Are jig, sabre, and scroll saws all the same?

What country are you in ?

Here in the UK, jigsaws are small
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?sub=103

and sabre saws are similar, but bigger
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?sub=106

Jigsaw blades have two sorts of fitting - those you have are the older
sort for a screw clamp, with a concave top and holes in the side.
There are also the bayonet lock / SDS type with a pointed top and two
lugs on the side.

Scroll saws are bench mounted, sometimes called powered fretsaws. They
use long thin double-ended blades. Some blades are plain ended, some
use pins. Many machines have interchangeable clamps to take both.

George

They can, but it's a Goldilocks between too coarse, which chips plastic, and
too fine, which melts and jams. Favor the fine, don't dawdle in the cut and
make unnecessary heat, and you should be able to cut your plastic well.

"Stephanie" wrote in message

Do you or anyone else know off hand if metal or wood jigsaw/sabre saw

blades
can cut plastic? Or is there a special blade?

S.

Dave Balderstone

In article , Stephanie
wrote:

Do you or anyone else know off hand if metal or wood jigsaw/sabre saw blades
can cut plastic? Or is there a special blade?

Depends on the plastic. Plexiglass, I just score and break like glass
(assuming a straight line). I have bad luck with it melting when I try
to cut with a power saw.

djb

--
"I don't always know what I'm talking about, but I know I'm right." -- Muhammad
Ali

Dave Balderstone

In article , Andy Dingley
wrote:

Use a good jigsaw (low vibration, to avoid cracking) and pendulum
action (to avoid excess friction heating on the downstroke)

I *could* do that, but scoring it and breaking as if it was glass works
very well in my experience.

I use a straightedge and score with a utility knife, then put the piece
with the score mark over a piece of dowel or the bench edge (score mark
up) and snap it.

Qualifier: I've used this up to 3/16, haven't worked with thicker for
many years. I have no doubt that the stuff can be cut with a saw quite
successfully.

djb

--
"Let's just admit that public education is mediocre at best." -- Frank Zappa
Silvan

Dave Balderstone wrote:

Depends on the plastic. Plexiglass, I just score and break like glass
(assuming a straight line). I have bad luck with it melting when I try
to cut with a power saw.

Shattering it into a million sharp little pieces too.

When I did the glass for the doors on my little hutch thing, I wound up
scoring/snapping and cleaning up with a straight bit in the router table.
The router made lots and lots and lots of translucent little whispy
shavings, but didn't melt the plastic.

I found a jig/saber saw was only good for shattering the plexiglass into a
million sharp little pieces. Too much chatter, even after rigging up some
clamping arrangement with a backing piece of plywood.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17107 Approximate word count: 513210