Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Useful Items From Thrift And Dollar Stores For The Shop

Hmm, for cutting sandpaper I've an old hacksaw blade attached to the
edge of my workbench. I slip the sand paper behind it and tear as needed.

I do that, too, occasionally, for single sheets. But for cutting through
4 sheets of sandpaper at once, which is what I usually do, I like my big,
heavy, $1 scissors a lot better.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"Mike Paulson" wrote in message
From the dollar store, a large scissors that I use to cut sandpaper sheets
into squares and strips. Cuts through 4 sheets at once. Been using it
since forever, not sure I ever had to resharpen it.

the proper way to sharpen scissors is to cut sandpaper

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
CW CW is offline

That BS has been going around for years. Do you sharpen your plane by
planing concrete?

"triker3" wrote in message

the proper way to sharpen scissors is to cut sandpaper

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"triker3" wrote in message

the proper way to sharpen scissors is to cut sandpaper

In the case with scissors it works to an extent. I suspect what it
really does is put micro serrations on the edge from the sand, and it
feels like it is sharper because it cuts (certain materials) better.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"triker3" wrote in message

the proper way to sharpen scissors is to cut sandpaper

In the case with scissors it works to an extent. I suspect what it
really does is put micro serrations on the edge from the sand, and it
feels like it is sharper because it cuts (certain materials) better.

It's never worked for me ... AAMOF, the dullest pair of scissors in the shop
is always relegated to cutting sandpaper, where they immediately get duller
and worthless for anything else.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 1/02/07

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Mike Paulson wrote:
From the dollar store, a large scissors that I use to cut sandpaper sheets
into squares and strips. Cuts through 4 sheets at once. Been using it
since forever, not sure I ever had to resharpen it.

This IS the way to sharpen scissors - cut sandpaper few times. So you are sharpening yours
every time...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Swingman wrote:

It's never worked for me ... AAMOF, the dullest pair of scissors in the shop
is always relegated to cutting sandpaper, where they immediately get duller
and worthless for anything else.

It always worked for me. But result is only good on good pair of scissors (not loose ones)
and kind of not lasting - this is not the permanent solution.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Actually the way to sharpen scissors is to hone the bevel on the outer side
of the arm. What we are really saying here is cutting sandpaper will keep a
pair of scissors sharp enough to cut sandpaper. Seems reasonable; the grit
of the paper will leave minor abrasions on the edge that will leave a
cutting surface until they abraded by the next sheet that will leave
abrasions on the edge and so on. What the first person described was to cut
four pieces at a time. that would abrade both inner and outer surfaces of
the arm, again keeping it sharp enough for sandpaper.
Time to turn wood.

--
God bless and safe turning
Darrell Feltmate

"Arcady" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:

It's never worked for me ... AAMOF, the dullest pair of scissors in the
shop
is always relegated to cutting sandpaper, where they immediately get
duller
and worthless for anything else.

It always worked for me. But result is only good on good pair of scissors
(not loose ones) and kind of not lasting - this is not the permanent
solution.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning
Ted Ted is offline

The REAL way to sharpen scissors is to use one of those small diamond
sharpening stones you can mount in a dremel tool. "Looks" like a chain saw
sharpening stone. Run that across the bevel edge of the scissors and they
cut like new. I start on the heel of the bevel and when I make contact you
can see where you are sharpening. Then I angle it down till I hit the
cutting edge. This establishes the angle and I proceed along the entire
cutting edge. SHARP!

I cut lots of Sandpaper with scissors and It does in fact dull the
blade.

PS I use the same bit in my dremel to sharpen my 3TPI band saw blade. About
12 minutes to do a 113" blade. I get two sharpenings out of each blade.

"Arcady" wrote in message
Mike Paulson wrote:
From the dollar store, a large scissors that I use to cut sandpaper

sheets
into squares and strips. Cuts through 4 sheets at once. Been using it
since forever, not sure I ever had to resharpen it.

This IS the way to sharpen scissors - cut sandpaper few times. So you are

sharpening yours
every time...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Ok - here is how to do it.

Find a board or a 1/4" sheet of steel in the shop (metal shops hate wood due to dust - ask me!).
Get a hacksaw blade - the hand type not machine type - but both would work.

Pre-fab so the length of the blade easily fits across the material.
Cut the other dimension to 1/4 sheet or 1/2 sheet above the flat (back) edge.
(that is the cutting edge. Scribe 1/4 if 1/2 sheet size is used. Have 1/2 sheet 'under'
the blade...

Place it across said sheet of material over a sheet of sand paper
and center punch holes in the two stretching eyes.

Pilot drill each and then drill for a typical fine pitch thread (keeping metric in here :-) )

Bolt said blade onto the material.

Place sheet under the blade and using the back edge as a shear line, pull down and across
the back, the top left or right corner - that of the 1/2 or 1/4 sheet dimension.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Lew Hodgett wrote:
Mike Paulson wrote:

From the dollar store, a large scissors that I use to cut sandpaper

sheets
into squares and strips. Cuts through 4 sheets at once. Been using it
since forever, not sure I ever had to resharpen it.

Might want to try a hacksaw blade next time.

Wrap masking tape around one end to form a handle.

Lew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

Dave Lyon wrote:

One of my most used tools is free.

I take a 16 oz soda bottle, and drill a small hole in the cap. I fill the
bottle with whatever coolant/lubricant I want, then use it for a squirt
bottle to apply to my work while I'm cutting. I never have to fuss

with the
stupid cheap pump bottles, and I get the coolant exactly where I want it.

Next time try a plastic bottle with a push/pull top that comes with dish
washing soap in it.

Also quite useful for filling wet cell batteries with distilled water.

Lew

I used to use one of those (large size) for chainsaw bar oil...
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

"Bill in Detroit" wrote: (clip) I use duct tape for a mixing surface for
epoxy (cheap, stays put, easy
clean up) (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a good one--I'll use it.

Leo..... don't use it "sticky side up". G
Ken.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.woodworking,rec.crafts.woodturning

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 01:47:36 GMT, Ken Sterling (Ken Sterling) wrote:

Dave Lyon wrote:

One of my most used tools is free.

I take a 16 oz soda bottle, and drill a small hole in the cap. I fill the
bottle with whatever coolant/lubricant I want, then use it for a squirt
bottle to apply to my work while I'm cutting. I never have to fuss

with the
stupid cheap pump bottles, and I get the coolant exactly where I want it.

Next time try a plastic bottle with a push/pull top that comes with dish
washing soap in it.

Also quite useful for filling wet cell batteries with distilled water.

Lew

I used to use one of those (large size) for chainsaw bar oil...
Ken.

It is also about the ONLY way to add power steering or automatic
transmission fluid to a '94 TransSport 3.8